1 Question! How to make my game MMO?

Are you serious? You think solution to those silly questions is forcing everybody to read some FAQ?
Also all my power here is to give some infraction and ban to spammers, or approve all posts that are not spam. Approval is made for spam filter only not as stupidity check.
If you can write script that can check if some search fits some random topic on forum, you should go, and apply for a job at google at least, or make startup creating first general AI.

This is the point I agree with most: Although even a beginner should be treated with respect regardless, weā€™re all human beings here.

As to this, optimism is always good but we shouldnā€™t try to tell him that his idea is entirely possible. Instead we should either point him to the tutorials he wants or other beginner tutorials. Decent MMOs are next to impossible to make by yourself, thereā€™s no way around that fact.

Again, In my opinion, behavior like this is worse then the person who asked the question in the first place.

Actually, one can build a MMO with the Hero and Lumberyard Engines. Its a matter of content and lots of it. To maximize the use of assets, Iā€™d recommend all Entities be constructed from modular interchangeable parts to create many different variations. With Materials, a myriad of variation is achievable. After all some form Character customization is needed, might as well reuse customization systems for other entities.

However, If youā€™re going to pursue such and endeavor with UE4, Iā€™d recommend getting the Online Subsystem MatchMaking for networking over the internet working first then expand on it. Servers can use the same matching to find other Servers to implement a form of Sharding, Zoning, Instancing, and Cloning. With multiplayer operating over the internet upfront you can build and stress test multiplayer properly.

I would not jump into game mechanics firstly. In fact, I would build a multiplayer in-game level building system. That way multiple developers can build the massive world collaboratively. This Multi-user Builder can be the template for other Multi-user Entity Customization Systems for Characters, Weapons, etc.

There are no tutorials that will help him, like I said you point to a documentation page about networking and that means nothing to a beginner.
You also didnā€™t try to help him, instead you just came in and complained about other people.

By the way, I think itā€™s highly likely the poster is trolling or isnā€™t serious in the first place.

Probably is trolling but the reason there is no tutorial on MMO development is because if one has to ask how to do it then it probably means they better not try.

Trying to give someone information as to how to make something when they donā€™t have a clue about the first step is like handing a child a blueprint of an atomic bomb and expecting it built without catastrophic failure.

I worked with Bigworlds Indie for a couple years the tutorial guide to get started is 40 pages long.

the additional reading on how to set up the Linux server and get the cluster functional is 55 pages long. The initial client side programming guide is 118 pages long. the documentation of the server side programming is 183 pages long.

I donā€™t feel like typing it all but the same principle holds true on any MMO development. Half the people that bought the engine had no clue how to even run the client so as you can guess the developers got frustrated and pulled the engine off the indie market. I donā€™t blame them one bit.

just saying.

Exactly, if you were to give a beginner useful information you would have to do a step-by-step guide and it would be thousands of pages long.

If you want serious information go work on either Planeshift or Ryzom for awhile. Both those MMO engines are built and documented (mostly in code). Ryzom is easy as cake to get functional if you have experience with C++ and know a few things but a beginner will probably just stare at it with their mouth open. It will require a bit of modifying and fixing some annoying bugs. I know I spent a couple hours in windbg getting a few bugs squashed and then back to the community for them to fix. (4 years ago)

Another decent MMO engine is worldforge. the graphics are not that great but they have the systems in place that are fully functional and stable.

Lastly the best MMO engine is Panda but the system as a whole is just downright difficult due to not having a decent editor. The engine itself is fully capable of clustering without going to deep into the rabbit hole.

I have successfully compiled and set up a test server with both engines and they are similar to BWT as far as building and installing.

Wow, so much useful information and positive vibes.

Please stay on topic!

I think you kind of missed the point.

Beginner Tutorials: basic 3D modeling, Intro to Blueprinting, things of this natureā€¦

Make a list of all the things they need to learn, and then realize that you should just be telling them to learn how to make games, because theyā€™d have to learn everything.
They would still be better off doing some searches for the things they want to do.

So much useful information here and why not using this thread to some sort, of an omniscient compendium about step by step creating a MMO?
I am here not talking about the cheap and lazy way with Marketplace content!
I am talking about that glory path of creative creation, that so many glory creative developers trodden onto and along!
**I bet **in the Unityforum a similar thread exists, let us make things better with the help of UE4, some coffee, pizza and energy for running the developer hardware.
When you are for example short on energy, you could easy disable the second display and join the mission.
Unplug it completely, because the small power LED could consume up to 1.5W!

The list is not to long!
Gimp / Blender / UE4

You got the point.
Why not adding helpful tutorials to complete this helpful thread about MMO creation?
I start here with stuff, which really helped me a lot, to understand the creation process of a MMO.
I would hold it basic for start, not to overcomplicated characters, but then the target is quick in view.
Here you go

Aaah, I see! So the process of creating an mmo is just to learn some 3D modeling, creating textures in Gimp and some messing with particles. Ah and lets not forget to tick the mmo/networking checkbox in the project settings. I see it is indeed not that difficult!

Well I for one am assuming that anyone who seriously dives into game making will quickly learn that MMOs are pretty much impossible\impractical. Iā€™m just talking about a list of tutorials that help beginners. If they are passionate about it theyā€™ll stick to it regardless of that fact.

Oh itā€™s that phoenix topic. Itā€™ll always comeback from time to time :stuck_out_tongue:

Btw, Iā€™ve worked with Disneyā€™s Panda game engine back in 2006, didnā€™t know it is now a multiplayer game thingy.

Hi everyone,

Our goal here on the forums and the Answerhub is to educate developers (both novice and expert) and guide them on a path to success. Of course it requires a balance between guiding someone step-by-step, and explaining the realities of their goals; but we should always strive to communicate in a professional and supportive manner. Naturally, the desire to start with MMO development (or other ambitious projects) is common for new developers, and that goal is fraught with challenges and obstacles which make it outside the scope of most developers. Ideally this reality should be communicated, and a smaller starter projects should be encouraged, but then (as others have done here) some references and launching points should be provided so as to not entirely discourage new developers from their goals, but hopefully allow them to tackle it with a bit more context and understanding of the challenges.

Because these topics are fairly common, I understand that it can be repetitive or tiresome to repeat this message with frequency, and that may lead some to a rather jaded response after a while. The solution to this is simple, and I strongly encourage one or many of you to make it happen. I suggest that any of you who care about this please visit the Unreal Engine Wiki, and start writing a new page along the lines of ā€œSo, you want to make an MMOā€. In this document, explain the realities, suggest the alternatives, but also suggest how someone could get started if they choose to go forward.

The beauty of this solution is that you only need to write your message once, then as aspiring developers continue to request information all you need to do is link them to the wiki page.

Cheers!

Making a game ā€“ any game (outside simple prototypes and Tetris clones) ā€“ is a challenge. Itā€™s not something that comes easy; not for small teams, not for AAA teams. Everyone involved in making a game faces complex, technical challenges. Rarely is something easy, and when something is, you know that the next problem will definitely not be easy to solve, and will require an ingenious solution.

Making an MMO is exponentially more complex. If a scale of difficulty goes from 1 to 10, letā€™s say that your Tetris clone is at 1. A feature rich singleplayer sits at 5. You want multiplayer? Now youā€™re at 8 or 9. So that leaves you at 10 for the MMO? Wrong! Letā€™s have our difficulty scale go to 20 instead. Thatā€™s where your MMO game sits.
Networking a game brings unique challenges to the table. Doing that on a massive scale increases the complexity further.

Letā€™s face it, the fact that you ask how to make an MMO, reveals that you are new to game development. If you werenā€™t, youā€™d know the challenge involved; so either you wouldnā€™t even consider doing one, or youā€™d know where to start and just get to work. So hereā€™s my advice, start by learning how to make games in Unreal Engine. Go through all the tutorials you find, familiarize yourself with the editor. Learn programming. When you feel ready, start working on a singleplayer game. When you feel ready to tackle it, either try to add multiplayer, or start a new project from scratch with multiplayer in mind. So instead of you going straight for the MMOG, at least youā€™re learning how to make a MOG: Multiplayer Online Game.

Iā€™d also like to link to this article:
http://www.gamedev.net/blog/355/entry-2250155-why-you-shouldnt-be-making-an-mmo/

With all that said, and I realize everything I wrote sounds discouraging, but itā€™s actually just meant to have you realize that this particular challenge is one that you are not yet ready for, so that you start on more appropriate projects according to your experience level, and learn. And grow. Then, one day, you might feel ready to tackle this. And that day, you wonā€™t ask how. Specifics, sure, but not this broad question of ā€œHow do I make an MMO?ā€

For those that are more experienced, Iā€™d like to give a bit of advice. Learn to do Client/Authoritative Server architecture. Learn to mix TCP and UDP, know when to use which. Some things need to happen fast, other things can happen more slowly, but needs to be guaranteed. You donā€™t want your player to lose something from his inventory because a packet got lost. Remember that a multiplayer game is all about simulation, some things you simulate on the server, other things on the client. As far as the world each client sees and experience: itā€™s all an illusion and not accurate. You just need to make this illusion believable enough.

Hereā€™s a great resource on networking programming, to get you started:

You should read and understand everything on this site.

This is another starting point I always refer to, which answers quite a few elementary questions.

Gamedev.net Networking and Multiplayer FAQ:
http://www.gamedev.net/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=rules&f=15

To end, Iā€™m sure that if you (OP) or others have specific questions regarding networking and multiplayer games, and especially specifics regarding Unreal Engine, there are many experienced people here willing to give answers.

The thing with MMOs is that, thereā€™s a gigantic world running on and controlled by a master server which dictates how the world is streamed to concurrent servers that keeps and manage a ā€œregionā€ of the world where players are actually connected to.
These regions are turned on/off by master server when needed if thereā€™s players connected to that region; and they are also running on separate processes on different machines under different IPs and Ports.
You simply canā€™t do that on Unreal, youā€™ll have to build that logic for the backend server yourself. The harder part will be Intra-Server Communication because UE4 dedicated server does not do that for you.

And that is just the basic step of why is so hard to work on MMOs, so avoid them if you can :stuck_out_tongue:
(itā€™s also the reason why all those ā€œMMO kitsā€ you see for Unreal or Unity engine they are all fake cashgrabs, you canā€™t build true MMO out of those things).

Iā€™m doing what Stephen Ellis suggested; Iā€™m working on a rather large entry for the wiki that will answer questions of this nature. ā€œCan I make an open-world online game in Unreal Engineā€ and ā€œCan I make an MMO in Unreal Engine?ā€ Even though I agree a bit with what The Britain said above, I think itā€™s nice to have a link to answer questions like this with.

I will post a link here when itā€™s done, and then I encourage people to edit and add to it.

This first article will be about ā€œCan I?ā€ and not the technical details of ā€œHow?ā€ - that might come later.

EDIT: Hereā€™s the link: A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements and Releases - Unreal Engine Forums

Unless youā€™re Rama. haha
[/QUOTE]

So very true

Iā€™m far from expert on the matter; I would start a lot of Wiki pages if I did not feel like thereā€™s people in here much more qualified to teach me instead;
Also free time is a rare *****, I barely manage to post on forums. But wellā€¦ I will try to start contributing to the Wiki pages at least within the topics Iā€™m working on (when I find the time and stop being hit by deadlines).