User Tag List

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1350

Thread: VR (OpenVR) Expansion Plugin

Quote Originally Posted by mordentral View Post
    Looks like screwed up reflection captures or you have Global Illumination on and bugged.
    Rebuild lightning, and update reflection captures but it doesn't work. No GI

When playing in other modes (not VR) everything looks fine Name:  49W0htzuDfw.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  312.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by danilchernyh View Post

When playing in other modes (not VR) everything looks fine
    Then I don't know what the problem is, put up an answerhub post about it, I haven't seen it before and it isn't related to the plugin so I couldn't fix it even if I knew what was causing it.

When playing in other modes (not VR) everything looks fine Name:  49W0htzuDfw.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  312.1 KB
    Try running the game in VR, open the console and type r.Streaming.MipBias 1. If that doesn't help press "~" twice and see what console commands get initiated, investigate that. Lastly what comes to my mind double check post process settings, something might be messing the scene there. I assume you use some prebuild scene from the marketplace, if so this might be the culprit. If not just refer to my previous pointers.
    VR Factory - Lead Developer
    Unreal Slackers Discord - Shin#0402

Samaritan
    Getting this strange green artifacts only when playing in vr preview. When in editor everything looks fine... Attachment 148108
    I had this problem before using one of those HDRI cubmapped skylights. Not sure why but everything was green and bright/washed out.
    Trance VR demo now available. Go hyper speed in VR! http://store.steampowered.com/app/601080/

The step by step should contain a section for actually compiling.
    If you're referring to step 12 of the step by step, I can build the solution in Visual Studio just fine.

It's step 13 that brings the error (even after a successful build), if I double click on the Uproject file. How does one open the project without using the launcher?

Apologies for my continued ignorance. This is not my area of expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by Astrea337 View Post
    If you're referring to step 12 of the step by step, I can build the solution in Visual Studio just fine.

It's step 13 that brings the error (even after a successful build), if I double click on the Uproject file. How does one open the project without using the launcher?

Apologies for my continued ignorance. This is not my area of expertise.
    You will need to build it for DevelopmentEditor for the uproject launch to work correctly, that is the build that the launcher uses.

Infiltrator
    No it didn't, if it says

Code:
    LogOnline:Display: STEAM: Loading Steam SDK 1.39
    LogOnline:Warning: STEAM: Steam API disabled!
    LogOnline:Display: STEAM: OnlineSubsystemSteam::Shutdown()
    that means that the online subsystem didn't load at all and it reverted back to subsystem NULL / LAN.

If you are packaging in shipping then it will fail without the appid.txt file. If you are packaging in development then it "IS" the SteamVRHome being enabled as it currently appears to conflict with the OnlineSubsystemSteam in engine and the Steam Subsystem doesn't load anymore when it is enabled.
    I've heard several people say that while packaging, the Steam API will be disabled and that's expected. Which seems to be the case because I finally got it working!

We were using the development build instead of the shipping build (which I didn't realize existed). Once I put the steamapp_id.txt folder in the shipping build, it worked! Thanks again for all the help and for the creating the plugin.

Quote Originally Posted by uw19 View Post
    I've heard several people say that while packaging, the Steam API will be disabled and that's expected. Which seems to be the case because I finally got it working!

We were using the development build instead of the shipping build (which I didn't realize existed). Once I put the steamapp_id.txt folder in the shipping build, it worked! Thanks again for all the help and for the creating the plugin.
    Development build works with steam as well, the demo project is a dev build, you just don't need the App_ID.txt file unless it is a shipping build.

Just finished making sure the plugin was 100% on the 4.17 preview (had to make some changes due to OpenGL / Vulkan change for SteamVR and some minor code changes in motion controllers).

New social screen nodes in 4.17, "Texture" mode specifically is interesting considering that you can turn off split screen in settings and render a second player to that texture.
    Also lets you map seperate camera views to the screen: IE: the mixed reality solution people are using currently.

The VR model loading functions appear unfinished and not ready currently in engine for 4.17 preview at least. Until they are finished and/or exposed to blueprint I will leave my nodes intact in the plugin.

The main plugin will get a 4.17 branch tomorrow, if you want to check it out even earlier the template already has one for 4.17.

Just trying to check out some things before pushing a branch for the main repository.

*Edit* 4.17 test branch is up for the main repository, i won't be making pre-packaged binaries until the next preview release as this one is pretty unstable.
    Last edited by mordentral; 07-14-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Hi Mordentral,
    I'm using the 4.15 version of your plugin and get a submission packaging error due to my use of the GetIsHmdConnected node in a front-end widget blueprint. Nativization is enabled. It complains about an undefined struct in one of the plugin's headers.

Is there an easy fix for this?

Thanks once more for the fantastic plugin. I'll be upgrading to 4.17 as soon as the current project is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandPlaya View Post
    Hi Mordentral,
    I'm using the 4.15 version of your plugin and get a submission packaging error due to my use of the GetIsHmdConnected node in a front-end widget blueprint. Nativization is enabled. It complains about an undefined struct in one of the plugin's headers.

Is there an easy fix for this?

Thanks once more for the fantastic plugin. I'll be upgrading to 4.17 as soon as the current project is complete.
    In 4.15 nativization was still a little...iffy...Also if you aren't doing fully nativized then you need to ensure that you nativize any blueprint classes / structs that are referenced by the nativized class or it will throw errors like that.

Paste the error it is giving you and I can tell you if there is an easy fix or if it is an incorrect nativization setup (also which nativize mode you are using).

Cheers,
    I have Blueprint Nativization Method set to Inclusive.
    The errors I get are:-

E:\Projects\VMI\VMI_Stanhope\Plugins\VRExpansionPlugin\VRExpansionPlugin\Source\VRExpansionPlugin\Public\VRExpansionFunctionLibrary.h(46): error C2079: 'Z_Param_Out_ATemp' uses undefined struct 'FBPActorGripInformation'
    E:\Projects\VMI\VMI_Stanhope\Plugins\VRExpansionPlugin\VRExpansionPlugin\Source\VRExpansionPlugin\Public\VRExpansionFunctionLibrary.h(46): error C2079: 'Z_Param_Out_BTemp' uses undefined struct 'FBPActorGripInformation'

Quote Originally Posted by IslandPlaya View Post
    Cheers,
    I have Blueprint Nativization Method set to Inclusive.
    The errors I get are:-

E:\Projects\VMI\VMI_Stanhope\Plugins\VRExpansionPlugin\VRExpansionPlugin\Source\VRExpansionPlugin\Public\VRExpansionFunctionLibrary.h(46): error C2079: 'Z_Param_Out_ATemp' uses undefined struct 'FBPActorGripInformation'
    E:\Projects\VMI\VMI_Stanhope\Plugins\VRExpansionPlugin\VRExpansionPlugin\Source\VRExpansionPlugin\Public\VRExpansionFunctionLibrary.h(46): error C2079: 'Z_Param_Out_BTemp' uses undefined struct 'FBPActorGripInformation'
    Alright, its not pulling the struct from the Precompiled header when nativizing.

You can either add
    Code:
    #include "VRBPDatatypes.h"
    Around the top of the file between the other includes.

Or download the newest version of the 4.15 locked branch, I added the line there for you.

This is not an issue in newer versions as they are now Include What You Use and don't have a precompiled header like used to be the engine standard.

Alright, its not pulling the struct from the Precompiled header when nativizing.

You can either add
    Code:
    #include "VRBPDatatypes.h"
    Around the top of the file between the other includes.

Or download the newest version of the 4.15 locked branch, I added the line there for you.

This is not an issue in newer versions as they are now Include What You Use and don't have a precompiled header like used to be the engine standard.
    That did the trick! Thank you. :-)

Pushed a new commit to the repository 4.17 branch (I won't be updating main page with changes until the release patch notes but these had to happen due to an oversight).

Code:
    Forgot to commit some of the steamVR settings and code changes over for 4.17.

Deprecated the vive tracker component as motion controllers finally control it

Made VR stereo widget work correctly in this build, however still cannot use the
    world locked setting as it floats off position and weirdly with movement.....

Still using my custom world locked setup for now.

I'm going over the final setup for the c++ lever component now as well since 4.17 seems stable.

If I based my project on your 4.16 template and upgraded it to 4.17 with the newest version of your plugin.
    Will I miss out on something important from the template? i.e. the stuff that is in the Content/VRexpansion folder which I based a lot of my objects on.
    Or is there anything else I need to think about when update to a later version of the engine?

Quote Originally Posted by KristofferF View Post
    If I based my project on your 4.16 template and upgraded it to 4.17 with the newest version of your plugin.
    Will I miss out on something important from the template? i.e. the stuff that is in the Content/VRexpansion folder which I based a lot of my objects on.
    Or is there anything else I need to think about when update to a later version of the engine?
    4.17 is mostly minor changes to get it working with engine changes, I have been updating the 4.16 branch with any actual changes instead of 4.17.

4.17 is mostly minor changes to get it working with engine changes, I have been updating the 4.16 branch with any actual changes instead of 4.17.
    Ok. Thanks for the quick answer.

Ive been having some problems with online matchmaking. Everything seems te be set up correctly and it integrates into Steam, however, sometimes the game fails to find the other hosting server. I try changing the host between PC's, but it keeps telling me no servers are found. Then after shutting down the program a few times, it finally appears in the server list. Is there a reason why the server finding is so unreliable? Is there something I should do to find the other hosting PC quicker? Can it be because I'm packaging the game quite a lot in different iterations and it gets confused with versions?

Quote Originally Posted by Link_AJ View Post
    Ive been having some problems with online matchmaking. Everything seems te be set up correctly and it integrates into Steam, however, sometimes the game fails to find the other hosting server. I try changing the host between PC's, but it keeps telling me no servers are found. Then after shutting down the program a few times, it finally appears in the server list. Is there a reason why the server finding is so unreliable? Is there something I should do to find the other hosting PC quicker? Can it be because I'm packaging the game quite a lot in different iterations and it gets confused with versions?
    Cross build servers don't work because by default the engine filters sessions by build ID.

However the more likely reason is that currently the SteamVRHomeBeta interferes with the Steam subsystem loading for some reason.

Cross build servers don't work because by default the engine filters sessions by build ID.

However the more likely reason is that currently the SteamVRHomeBeta interferes with the Steam subsystem loading for some reason.
    That is a good point, these problems have started after the Home Beta update. I'm gonna do some further research, thanks.

Pushed new commit to the plugin (4.16 master branch)

Code:
    Skeletal mesh fixed when it has a rotated root bone and is gripped with physics

Still not as optimal as I would have liked, but having to deal with center of mass
    and the root bone rotational difference between physics body and main is aggravating.
    Also fixed the center of mass setting to an offset location when the object is scaled.

Added ClientSideAuthoritive_NoRep grip replication mode, acts just like ClientSide_Authoritive
    except it doesn't tell the server about it. Basically it behaves like the old LocalGrip identifier.

Added IsALocalGrip function to the blueprint characters to clean up checking BOTH of the modes
    instead of just the one in some spots now (IE: where it chooses to call grip on client or server
    side).

Set all grippable components to auto replicate by default.

Otherwise a lot of funky things can happen, I think I removed this setting a few patches ago but it
    has proved to be important in most cases in multiplayer so i'm forcing it to default true
    again. Can still be disabled if you want.

*Note* Stereo layer widget components appear to be updating incorrectly all of the sudden, I think this has to do with
    the new steamVR patch. I haven't found a fix yet, I can't test on Rift to see if it is working as intended there at the moment.
    Last edited by mordentral; 07-20-2017 at 01:36 PM.

Hey @mordentral!
    Judging from the demo vids, and wiki pages I must admit that it sure seems like you've done some amazing work on that plugin.
    Also it seems you're very active in updating and developing it which really makes using it in long-term projects a valid option.
    Our studio has recently released an indie VR title on steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/571860/Galactic_Core_The_Lost_Fleet/).
    The last week few weeks have all about learning and designing what's necessary to evolve it into a VR multiplayer game (we're thinking dedicated servers).
    In any case, I've been struggling to find an efficient way of play-testing VR multiplayer in the editor.
    I mean even the most basic things, like checking if a replicated actors behaves as expected, if all client's received some RPC call, if game is consistent between clients.
    So a few questions in terms of general multiplayer VR development workflow:
    - How do you test multiplayer functionality each time you make a change?
    - Is it possible to some how perform testing for 2 clients and a server using just a single PC and headset (even if the other client is just running a keyboard/mouse version of the game)?
    - Any debugging tools /tips you could share from your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Jake1337 View Post
    Hey @mordentral!
    Judging from the demo vids, and wiki pages I must admit that it sure seems like you've done some amazing work on that plugin.
    Also it seems you're very active in updating and developing it which really makes using it in long-term projects a valid option.
    Our studio has recently released an indie VR title on steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/571860/Galactic_Core_The_Lost_Fleet/).
    The last week few weeks have all about learning and designing what's necessary to evolve it into a VR multiplayer game (we're thinking dedicated servers).
    In any case, I've been struggling to find an efficient way of play-testing VR multiplayer in the editor.
    I mean even the most basic things, like checking if a replicated actors behaves as expected, if all client's received some RPC call, if game is consistent between clients.
    So a few questions in terms of general multiplayer VR development workflow:

- How do you test multiplayer functionality each time you make a change?

In 2D, I have a function setup so that if I am not specifically launching in VRPreview then it uses a copy of my character with the head and hands locked (ie acts like a normal character).
    prior to actual feature release everything gets tested again actually in VR across two computers. This was harder to do in the beginning because many of the core features needed testing in VR.
    However since the plugin is fairly stable I am able to do the majority of initial testing in 2D now.

It is likely that any eventual system you make would be able to get to that point as well fairly quickly.

- Is it possible to some how perform testing for 2 clients and a server using just a single PC and headset (even if the other client is just running a keyboard/mouse version of the game)?

See above but set client or server to non vr mode, can launch from uproject without packaging for local testing

- Any debugging tools /tips you could share from your experience?

Netprofiler is god in this engine, every new feature unless you specifically know what the overhead is going to be should be ran through it to check for bandwidth problems.

As of 4.16 you need to set minimum NetUpdateFrequency times or you will get some very aggravating inconsistencies, this is due to AdaptiveNetFrequency being enabled by default now.
    I wouldn't turn the feature off though, it is good, you just have to be careful.

You appear to have some more complicated movement systems in your game, transitioning this to multiplayer "correctly" will be more difficult than you expect unless you go the route of
    full client side movement authority or adapt / re-create the character movement system.
    Commented in bold above

"In 2D, I have a function setup so that if I am not specifically launching in VRPreview then it uses a copy of my character with the head and hands locked (ie acts like a normal character)."

Yeah I get what you are saying, we have a similar "KMS mode" setup that runs if HMD is not connected. Is yours available in the template/example project that's currently available?

"See above but set client or server to non vr mode, can launch from uproject without packaging for local testing"

You mean running the editor from the cmd like "...UE4Editor.exe" "C:\Users\vr\Documents\Unreal Projects\NextStep\myproject.uproject" 10.100.102.2 -game -fullscreen -log -nosteam"?
    And do you actually run your multiplayer testing this way as well, having clients/server all run on a single workstation?

"You appear to have some more complicated movement systems in your game"

Even though it comes off as being complicated, I'm hoping it should be not too complicated to pull off in multiplayer, since it's mostly navigation which by itself is predictable and should be able to run almost completely on the client side (once a path has been calculated on the server).
    However since I've completely ignored the character movement component in my implementation (I mainly use the "set location along spline" + "Set actor location", more or less) and so completely ignores not only physics (which we handle artificially), it will also not be able to take advantage of the built in network features such as correction etc.
    Needless to say, I manually handle the whole syncing of the "character location relative to camera/HMD offset location etc." logic myself.
    That's why I was looking in to your implementation as it seems to almost magically combine the best of both worlds.
    **Correct me if I'm wrong but using the "navigation" locomotion option you displayed I could achieve a similar result, at least for walking around.**
    For the jumping I would have to choose between the physics approach which you use and a "spline movement" approach which we currently make use of

In any case I've downloaded the example project along with the plugin and will be trying it out and playing around with it asap.
    Last edited by Jake1337; 07-21-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake1337 View Post
    "In 2D, I have a function setup so that if I am not specifically launching in VRPreview then it uses a copy of my character with the head and hands locked (ie acts like a normal character)."

Yeah I get what you are saying, we have a similar "KMS mode" setup that runs if HMD is not connected. Is yours available in the template/example project that's currently available?

"See above but set client or server to non vr mode, can launch from uproject without packaging for local testing"

You mean running the editor from the cmd like "...UE4Editor.exe" "C:\Users\vr\Documents\Unreal Projects\NextStep\myproject.uproject" 10.100.102.2 -game -fullscreen -log -nosteam"?
    And do you actually run your multiplayer testing this way as well, having clients/server all run on a single workstation?

"You appear to have some more complicated movement systems in your game"

Even though it comes off as being complicated, I'm hoping it should be not too complicated to pull off in multiplayer, since it's mostly navigation which by itself is predictable and should be able to run almost completely on the client side (once a path has been calculated on the server).
    However since I've completely ignored the character movement component in my implementation (I mainly use the "set location along spline" + "Set actor location", more or less) and so completely ignores not only physics (which we handle artificially), it will also not be able to take advantage of the built in network features such as correction etc.
    Needless to say, I manually handle the whole syncing of the "character location relative to camera/HMD offset location etc." logic myself.
    That's why I was looking in to your implementation as it seems to almost magically combine the best of both worlds.
    **Correct me if I'm wrong but using the "navigation" locomotion option you displayed I could achieve a similar result, at least for walking around.**
    For the jumping I would have to choose between the physics approach which you use and a "spline movement" approach which we currently make use of

In any case I've downloaded the example project along with the plugin and will be trying it out and playing around with it asap.
    Yeah you can connect to local machine servers with -nosteam and Open command or lan sessions.

The navigation setup I have is a bit different, you likely use an AI controller, I don't, I just moved some of the AI controller functions into the player character so that I could navigate in there. However something you would want to consider is that with the default navigation in engine the navigation is server sided only. In my plugin I specifically send an additional variable to the server from the movement component so that client sided navigation is also possible in engine.

Infiltrator
    Hi Mordentral,

Quick question: I have a bow in my game and until recently I was able to modify the rotation of the bow (while gripped in "Physics Only") just by setting the world and local rotation in the bow blueprint every tick, but since 4.16.2 this won't work anymore. It's like the grip is resetting the rotation every tick. The blueprint object is just a static mesh actor.

Do you have any idea what might be happening? In grip mode "Hybrid" it applies the rotation correctly.

Thanks!
    Last edited by jawatr; 07-22-2017 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jawatr View Post
    Hi Mordentral,

Quick question: I have a bow in my game and until recently I was able to modify the rotation of the bow (while gripped in "Physics Only") just by setting the world and local rotation in the bow blueprint every tick, but since 4.16.2 this won't work anymore. It's like the grip is resetting the rotation every tick. The blueprint object is just a static mesh actor.

Do you have any idea what might be happening? In grip mode "Hybrid" it applies the rotation correctly.

Thanks!
    The only reason that worked is because the tick order of the controllers was before the tick event you were using in blueprint, so your tick ordering is off. There is nothing specific to the grip that changed on my end that would effect that and even if epic changed something I am not aware on in 4.16.2 you should still be able to overwrite rotation when the tick happens after the initial movement.

You have a few options
    1. Switch the primary tick of the blueprint to post physics (controllers are pre-physics so they tick prior to that)..not the best option as any physics collisions would be 1 tick behind.
    2. Add a TickPrerequisite of the controller to the object after it is gripped (forces it to tick after the controller), you would then get reliable tick ordering, this is easy and you could keep your current logic.
    3. Use the AdditionTransform to handle the rotation directly in the gripping system and without having to overwrite anything.

*Edit* I just remembered that the tick preres is already automatically being set on grip so that actor tick has the correct locations, so that should already be working.

I will also note that there is little to no reason to even be using a managed grip if you are already setting the location and rotation on each tick, you would be better off using the "Custom" grip type and moving the bow in the TickGrip event. This would bypass all of the logic that you are already throwing out making it less intensive and also giving you complete control over the movements.

The navigation setup I have is a bit different, you likely use an AI controller, I don't, I just moved some of the AI controller functions into the player character so that I could navigate in there. However something you would want to consider is that with the default navigation in engine the navigation is server sided only. In my plugin I specifically send an additional variable to the server from the movement component so that client sided navigation is also possible in engine.
    Actually I just use the navmesh to calculate the waypoints then I handle the navigation myself instead of using the engine's NavMeshWalking - I do it by generating a spline from the waypoints and walking it as my path.

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334