Your first game in unreal engine 5

Hey, I’m just trying to follow the make tutorial ‘Your first game in unreal engine 5’ it says that project files are from the Stack-O-Bot on the Marketplace however I tried to export just the crate to an fbx for importing it into my new project but now the vertex colors are off from the crate. also, some of the texture names have already changed.
Could it be possible to upload a zip containing the files needed for the tutorials instead of downloading them from the marketplace?

4 Likes

You can right click an asset in the Stack-O-Bot project and select “Asset Actions → Migrate” and choose the Content folder of the new Project as the destination. It will automatically copy all the materials, textures and any other assets required.

1 Like

Yeah, I know that. been using UE for a little while now. but since it’s a learning tutorial and they import the assets and build them up I believe it would be better to leave the files for download or change the video to represent the reality of migrating the assets. doubt someone whos new to UE would be able to finish the tutorial

10 Likes

YES, this… i’m new to making games and i want to make a hobby project and well… i spent almost an hour trying to figure out where to get the assets as the file given is a project file and not the resources… it was very frustrating and time consuming when there is a very simple resolution to this issue.

6 Likes

well they could atleast have that explination in the video or in the desciption.

2 Likes

Same thing here. All the processes until the middle of the tutorial are with fbx files that we don’t have available. I’m improvising with files from “Starter Content” and other assets from the marketplace.

There is a zip file FirstGameInUE5_source.zip that contains the items you require. This can be found under “installed directory”\StackOBot\Content\

10 Likes

For anyone curious, you just need to change one import setting to get the Vertex colors:

Under Mesh → Advanced:
change “Vertex Color Import Option” from “Ignore” to “Replace”

This will import the painted Vertex colors. Hope this helps anyone that got stuck like me!

4 Likes

I found FistGameInUE5_source.zip file in this folder: “installed directory”\StackOBot\Content\ when I created the project for 5.0, but not when created for 5.1

4 Likes

Is there some way of getting the necessary files? I’m using 5.1 and it doesn’t have the zip file. I’m completely new to Unreal and to be stuck less than 4 minutes into the first tutorial is not a good experience. Can I get at the files some other way? I found the location of some .uasset files that appear to be the right names, but the import function won’t import them

I found that I could just copy the SM_Crate.uasset from StackOBot\Content\StackOBot\Environment\Props to the props folder, but I found that it didn’t take the materials with it as per the tutorial and I couldn’t find one named exactly the same as the tutorial. Found one that is one letter different so may try that one.

Thanks created project for 5.0 only way to get zip file.

3 Likes

Thank you bro, I find it!!!

I had the same problem but I find a little solution: when you download the file “stack-o-bot” you must change the UE version: from 5.1 to 5. In this way, you download a folder that have also the zip fie “FirstGameInUE5_Source.zip”, with all the files in .fbx and not in .uasset

some one uploaded the files and shared this link in a other forrum post :
[269.64 MB file on MEGA 1](269.64 MB file on MEGA 1)

4 Likes

Thanks a lot mate!

Thank you!

Yeah, I’m new to unreal and having a hell of a time with this tutorial for this reason. Been looking all over for the zip file! So dumb.

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I hope this forum area is still alive.

I started with Unreal about 7 months ago and recently found “Your First Game In Unreal Engine 5” tutorial. I believe I have the same setup as in the tutorial, but I had to adapt to the new system of enhanced input actions.

At the beginning of the video, everything works as expected, but when I implement “Orient rotation to movement” in character movement and set the spring arm rotation to “absolute rotation,” I noticed some issues:

• The camera faces the opposite direction, and I would need to adjust it in the BP_Bot spring arm, but I’m not sure why.

• When I try to move sideways, my bot doesn’t rotate completely; it seems stuck.

Can anyone help me out, please?

Thank you.