Your first game in unreal engine 5

Hello, after 2 years of the last post I’m also hoping that it’s not closed. I entered the forum because I’m getting the same error that @Madeira3d is describing, though I’m convinced that I did everything that was said in the tutorial.
After struggling a bit I got the rotation right, after I set a Z rotation value of 18000, which I believe is completely ridiculous. Besides, when I unclick the mouse button, the character’s rotation goes back to 0 instead of maintaining its current orientation.
In the tutorial we can see that when the narrator stops clicking the button, the character stops its translation but its orientation keeps as it was when moving towards the final position.
The moment in the video the narrator says how to make the character orient towards the direction of the click is around 43:50
If I could get anyone’s help it would be much appreciated!

@escoltainvisible Oi,Hola, Hi there,

I might be able to assist in a couple of days once I have access to my computer with Unreal Engine close by.

Regarding the orientation issue, it seems the discrepancy might stem from the initial world orientation chosen by the author versus what you and I have set up. It’s likely that we created our worlds facing different directions, which is why the author’s fix involving world rotation didn’t work for us. In my case, I adjusted the camera direction within the Blueprint to align with the front of the actor, resulting in the correct orientation in-game.

As for the actor movement, it sounds like you’re trying to achieve continuous movement without the need to constantly press down. This is something I implemented in my tutorial as well, and I’d be happy to explain how I did it. Once you see the process, you’ll find it quite straightforward.

While I’m away from home for a few days, I’ll have access to my PC soon and can potentially record a video to provide a clearer explanation. In the meantime, if you could share some videos or images of the issues you’re encountering, it would help me better understand and offer tailored assistance.

1 Like

Well, thanks for the answer, @Madeira3d . It’s nice to know. But I really have no clue about how to change the world orientation right now. Maybe I’m bound to start all over again just in case I missed something. And about uploading the video… Ugh! It seems that new users can’t do that… one minute… https://youtu.be/FAYcIp6fFnI Now. Yeah go ahead and click the link. You’ll see the other issue: as soon as I unclick, the character goes back to rotation 0

I’m not sure if it’s just me, but I find the Epic Games forum quite confusing. I thought this was the topic where I had posted my findings, but it seems it’s not.

I’ve shared some of my most problematic situations while doing this tutorial, as well as how I solved the issue of making the actor keep moving with just one click until it reaches the clicked position. You can take a look here.

Sorry, I thought I had also posted about the one-click solution. Basically, I created a variable to store the mouse click position, and the character keeps moving to that position until a new click is given.

I wrote a quick blog post in my website about this game project: https://mad3d.github.io/Website/blog7_myfirstgame.html

: https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/tutorial-your-first-game-in-unreal-engine-5/587139/312

Hey @Madeira3d thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I had a look at the entire post about the tutorial and not far from the top was a guy who gave me the solution. I hadn’t unchecked the “Use controller rotation Yaw” option. Now when I move the character and make it stop, it remains looking in the direction it was ment to.