Yet another FPS blueprint tutorial

er nope, sorry i know i’m being a pain but often i have problems working out what and how the variables are set here’s a few pics which might help pin point the error
c0af0103eede60a005290f5a9a386ad130adf551.jpeg
3b452249844c45ec668098f260797cfdcf1af467.jpeg

Everything looks right. But your text fields are reversed (header vs where the error msg goes), but that shouldn’t matter.

Should pop up just like that. Is your SetErrorTXT a function in the Error_MSG widget?

sorry but i don’t have any functions for that, i only get class or variable

i think something must be missing from the widget/event graph or the text feild needs some sort of “bind” , sorry but thats why i do my best to follow tutorials i always find areas where the writers miss/forget to add these little bits, i know it like trying to spoon feed the info and it takes a lot of work from your side, so thanks in advance, i’ll now try and do the next section and hopefully come back to this later

No, this is good, thanks. I did miss making that function. In the Error_MSG widget you need to make a new function, SetErrorTXT, looks like attached image. I somehow forgot to put that in, just updated the tutorial with it.seterrortxt.png

You my friend deserve a Knighthood, after at least 4 hours following your tutorial (i’m slow) i’ve managed to finish the Host/gamemode section, though it doesn’t look right atm eg the main menu still shows when i click on the host button (need to set the vis of the main somewhere) i realise just how much work you have put into this tutorial + the menu system, i can only give you my heartfelt thanks and in return if you think you may need my help in anything then please tell me your kind work deservers more help in return.

again many thanks

No problem. There should be a part in there that covers removing the main menu when the host comes up. It was later in my blog, but when I copied over to the wiki not sure where it landed, if you don’t find it let me know. There should be a whole bit on hiding widgets.

Thanks for going through it and letting me know where I mess up or forget things. I am close to done the ‘Join’ part, hopefully by tomorrow.

very nice this is!

Thanks. Finished the Join Game part.

This looks really good and just what I have been looking for. Im about 2 hours in and loving it.

Hi Arbopa, Nice tutorial,

So I’m at the point where it requires the Advanced Session Plugin for 4.8 but further down you mention this…

Is Advanced Session still needed?

Yes, on the thread for the Advanced Sessions Plugin there is a download for 4.9, if I didn’t mention to use that I need to update the tutorial. The Steam stuff is seperate from the Advanced Sessions stuff.

Just realized something real strange, When I hit Play, My gamemode and all the items associated are increasing every tick, so reproducing itself. I’m at the same point as Geodav, the Host menu won’t appear but I think its cause a new session is being created every tick. No idea why this is happening?

Any ideas?

Lulz found it… On Start_Game for some reason I had Open Level command. creating a continuous loop.

My bad.

Hi arbopa

I liked it a lot. Just needs another excellent tutorial like it, teaching from scratch how to add bots, players, death, damage, fully functionally weapons, and pickups and any basic hud elements like health bar, armor bar, weapon selection, ammo and it would not be the another tutorial, would be the long time the Best Tutorial.

Conkerballs, glad you found it… BTW, how do you see that things are reproducing like that to catch such an error?

lunyBunny, that is all in the works, as the tutorial grows as I have time to work on it.

Hi Arbopa,

If you look at the World Outliner at the top it shows you the session number of a called object. So for example, it will show HUD, GameMode, Player etc… And that number was just climbing up for me.

Unfortunately, I think I am truly having the same issue as Geodav now. When I hit play and click on Host, I can’t play with any of the host settings because it looks to still focus on the MainMenu. Ensure where the extract is in the file for focusing on the Host Menu.

Any help would be great :slight_smile:

@Conkerballs just keep on with the host menu tutorial , he shows how to hide the main and just show the host, if i can do it then so can you

managed to finish the host section, atm it doesn’t work, think i’ve set a few of the textblock vars wrong, when i last checked there was a few images missing and a few more where i had to goto the blog to find ones that was big enough to see correctly, i think the macro for “set_max_players” isn’t show any where but thats might be a copy of the set_max_score. might i suggest you add the steam stuff for the defaultengine.ini file in there. i think my issues might also be typo’s in the ini file as my gamemode+map won’t switch even though i’ve got the buttons the wrong way round :o , i’m hoping that i can port this to other projects as theres other options i need to add the hostgame (team/factions) but i think this tutorials has given my some fantasic in sights on how to do this. hope to have a bit more time so i can continue.

can’t say thankyou enough :slight_smile:

edit: oh boy talk about thick, yes i had a typo or 2 , then i had wired a node(byte > ) in the up_button the wrong way round :frowning: , so now ready to sort the missing sting in option message (either the score limit or timelimit)

Ty GeoDav, just got to that point now. My issue is that I have no Mouse Input for the MM_Host, even when selected I can’t click on any of the buttons etc… I must of missed something.

EDIT: I love Unreal haha… It’s because I had an image over the whole host menu blocking button press… I am so bad at UMG!

Conckerballs, I went in and found where that timeenum image was missing and added it. Feel free to let me know of any other issues, would rather the tutorial be right… and I do miss things and forget things. Anyone feel free to friend me on the unreal messenger thing that is in the launcher if you want to pass me info on stuff I missed or got wrong, or could clarify better.

Have started adding stuff for the settings menu, much work to do, but it is started, now I have to run off to my real job.