Yet another FPS blueprint tutorial

Oh and I never understood why you were separating the MainMenu Widget and the Background Widget.

Well, if you put the background on the Main Menu, when you switch to Settings or some such, it would go away. You could set a full background on all your menus and not have a separate background widget if one wanted to. Or you could have no background widget at all, and just have whatever is in the background showing, either pure black darkness or make something in that main menu map and set a camera up so you get a certain view in the background.

Not sure if I understood you, but I would like to point out, that you can set the visibility of the whole widget AND nearly every other small UI element like text or images. With that in mind, it’s a lot easier to make the menu on the background, because you actually see where you place your text on the background. If you don’t understand what I’m saying, I mean this fantastic tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HX38jQO-Jo. He also makes the MainMenu, then copies the whole UI element, hides the MainMenu and works on another UI element IN THE SAME WIDGET. <3

Do it however you want.

Huh? <3 I just wondered why you would separate the background and the text, because you have no reference where you place the text on the background using 2 widgets… So, I asked nicely if there is a reason for having 2 widgets :3 But after this respond, I guess is there is none :frowning:

I explained why I did it that way. So the background is independent from the different menu widgets. I place everything in my widgets based on the anchors, so I know where it will go. Perhaps I do not understand your question or point beyond that. The point of the tutorial is to give people a start, to build a foundation so they can learn and expand. The great thing about UE4 is there are many ways to do things, and hopefully as people new to all this learn more, they expand and do things differently to suit them, or because it works out better. I simply can not cover every possible way one can do something… I can only lay down a base that works as best as I can.

Hey arbopa how’s it going with part II :D?

Im desperate :stuck_out_tongue:
Thanks…

It is a struggle. There is so much to animation. And I keep going back trying to make it do more.

I am shifted to using the Animation Starter Pack… am working on the stuff switching between pistol and rifle and rifle at your hip vs rifle aimed. I have it where you can switch, but trying to make it animated so it’s not instant.

If I can’t figure it out in a few hours, gonna drop back a level and just make it work… though it will miss transition animations between weapons. Only so much I can do with the limited Animation Starter Pack.

Was hopping to whip out part II by the end of the day. Will see how it goes. Am dead tired of animations and need to move on.

haha I feel what you mean.
It sounds nice, ahmm some transitions like prone, before it was only able to be performed if it was crouched, I fixed it. However, I was wondering if you made it like this with a solid purpose of players not going to prone fast. I have the movement aimset pro,pistol and rifle as well. I was looking through the animations and there is a transition from prone to idle and idle to prone. I didnt quiet figure out how to make it work when a player presses prone button it shows the animation( idle- to prone)… then goes to prone idle animation.

Also, how will rifles models we bring to the game will adapt to those animations? for example reload, fire animations, etc. I know we will add sockets but are we going to have to create a new animation blueprint/specific bones for them?

I love that you are paying attention to animations since it’s what makes the game a bit more emersive.

Thanks for the response and good luck.

I am not doing prone this time around. Because before I found that the capsule does not change, so you can not prone under low objects. Epic has Crouch built in that takes care of that, but not a prone function… why on earth they did not do that for the movement component boggles my mind, as it seems a common human movement in games. I wish they would update simple things like that, but their priorities don’t seem to be filling out basic functionality. You can still add it, just your characters will not be able to go under anything lower than what they go under when standing. As for the inbetween animations… if you have a ‘standing idle’ animation in the anim graph, and add a ‘prone movement blendspace’ … you can add ‘stand2prone’ and ‘prone2stand’ inbetween… for your transition to it would check a ‘isprone’ variable or some such, then transition from ‘stand2prone’ to your ‘prone movement blendspace’ would use a ‘time remaining’ and check if it is < .1 or .2 or some such, then allow transition to that blendspace. If that makes sense. Sometimes it’s hard without pictures.

I have no idea currently. Frankly I am dreading it because I have found NOTHING in terms of info on such things out there. And the aiming stuff is still a bit freaky as is… when you look up/down, your vision seems to rotate more than your arms, so you are not centered on where the gun would be. That annoys me, and I guess I will need to figure that out when it comes to adding the guns. But now I want to get to the in game states stuff before I forget everything I did previously… lol.

Awesome, as for the arms being freaky, maybe… AHmm aimoffsets animations will take care of that?

if you see this video’s final result UE4 CustomWeapon Pt.10 [Aim Offset] - YouTube It will show you that it doesn’t like freak when moving or aiming up/down. So It must likely means that it needs an aimoffset. I don’t think aimstarter pack has it, but rifleaimset pro does. :confused:

PDF here.

Project file here.

People should watch that to learn animation better. :wink:

I will probably watch it later tonight.

@akalovemaker … watched the video… yeah, if you add a variable ‘aim_pitch’ of type Rotator… change some of the event graph in your animation BP to look like this:

And the animgraph to look like this:

you will get the same thing without the blend space stuff… this would not use our other aimPitch (float) variable… that would stay at 0… so you could maybe make a 1D blendspace that just has the center aiming for pistol, hip rifle and aimed rifle, and use that instead of the Aim_BS… feeding the proper whichWeapon into it…

I do not know which is ‘better’… but I did the above and I get a lot of jitter or vibration in the hands when you are pitching up and down. BUT it does keep your vision in the right spot for any aim adjustments per your weapons.

will update PDF with this.

awesome…

Just wanted to say thanks for the excellent tutorial, it’s nice to see how to lay out a good game structure. The make a game tutorials are all well and good and you can learn a lot however it’s a bit like learning to play a musical instrument learning a song won’t make you a musician. I am currently digesting every tutorial and build I can find so this was a very welcome addition.

Where I can find this ShowLoading() node?
Btw, I had to cast the PlayerController() to L_Player_Controller or the Create Advanced Session() fails.

I’m stuck at Menus part 2:

Don’t really know what’s happening that part of the tutorial is kind of confused :frowning:

By the way, why don’t you make a video version of the tutorial?

You could monetize it on Yotube.

edit: Nevermind I missed advanced Blueprints.

In Leave_Current_State, you need to set the input to the ENUM, not a byte. Otherwise the proper thing does not show up.

I suggest you go back a few posts and get the PDF of that part, it includes a lot of changes and fixes.

Am working on adding a rifle and pistol and damage… kinda needed for the next part. Found a strange thing, if your weapon has a collision, for some reason when you move, you are always forced away from it. Very strange.

yeah, I edited, as I said I didn’t have the Advanced Blueprints plugin installed correctly…:frowning:

I’m having a problem now when trying to show the Main Manu over the Background:

That’s my Main Menu widget (it’s a modification of an old project of mine, but that should not be an issue):

This is my game instance blueprint:

Double checked twice the guide, I’ll check the pdf in case I forgot something.