Yet another FPS blueprint tutorial

1. Not sure how old that is, it probably needs the Advanced Session plugin AND Rama’s victory plugin.
  2. No, score, time, whatever, not needed in your own project, just no need to do anything related to that when you see it in the tutorial.
  3. Right click and type in reroute … it is a reroute node.

Just put up new stuff, on getting starting with the game timers… I have the ‘pre game’ timer set and running and syncing among clients. Will do the part for game play next… but may be taking a bit of a break, as the November Game Jam starts thursday, and I plan to participate, and hopefully finish. Would be my first.

I felt like I had to tell you how thankful I am <3. Finally I understand the concepts of GameMode and how all classes work together. Really nice tutorial that sums up everything. Gonna try to finish the tutorial tomorrow and edit my post for feedback and probably spamming more hearts to thank you for that <3.

No problem, am glad if it helps even just a few people. I know I struggled so bad a while back I gave up. I’d rather see more people succeed than give up and go away.

Hello,

First I want to say a big thank to Arbopa for your great tutorial that helps a lot in putting our hand on this engine !

I have a little question here about networking/joining session. If I share my packaged game to my friends, do I need to activate “Steam Networking” to allow them to see the server ? If yes, by what I tested, I’ll not be able to see my own session on the server list.
Can you make me a quick recap about how it actualy works without having our game on “Greenlit” but wanting to make it testable over internet ?

Thank you in advance and keep doing your amazing work ! Cheer :slight_smile:

4.10 is out. Will move the project to that to see if it is compatible, but first need to wait on Advanced Sessions and Victory plugin’s to be updated to 4.10.

mordentral has updated the Advanced Sessions plugin for 4.10 … Advanced Sessions Plugin - Community Content, Tools and Tutorials - Unreal Engine Forums

I am downloading Visual Studio 2015 now to see if I can get Rama’s Victory plugin recompiled for 4.10.

hey ardoba can you explain a little more in detail the blendspaces you made. for example in a video show me the animations that you put in each of the dots in the preview. For WALK_BS and Run_BS.
So I can get an idea how they look and what you did for them.

Edit: I got it. But, I still cannot get the strafe movement when you are idle to strafe left/right. instead it plays the strafe animation that is sort of in a 45 degree, the one you get when you are walking + strafing.

Wouldn’t it be better if you had the walking-backward+stopping animations in one blendspace, also the walk-run in one blendspace instead of separate, and a straffing blendspace animations inside the walk-run.

Like this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUQ83Szuh7E skip to minute 6:00

PS: it doesn’t have to be root motion.(since it need a different controller than the one you have). However, we if add this animations like that it will add more immersion, retargetting is like 1 minute or less(using mixamo’s character’s of course). and the animations look pretty good.

Please tell me if you will consider this :slight_smile:

Much love,
aka

have never been much for making videos. And blend spaces are not a strong point. But maybe I can put something together… it would probably be next week as I hope to spend my time working on something for the game jam starting tomorrow.

Awesome! I know it will look a hell of a lot better if you do it like the video I provided :smiley:

Anyone is free to do more or less, it is their game and their learning process. I personally didn’t want to have all the extra animations. Maybe with UE4 it doesn’t matter much, I don’t know. Yeah, that stuff looks better, for sure… maybe I’ll eventually do it, right now I am more about gameplay than smooth animation. :wink:

Hey @arbopa - I’m having trouble finding where you link MM_S_Video to the Widget Switcher. I have worked through the video settings, but when I play the game I only see the Video, Audio, and Input buttons, not the widget switcher content. Did I miss something? Is this something you cover later on?

In your MM_Settings, in the Widget switcher, you need to make sure you add the ‘User Created’ items (ie, the video, audio and game widgets) dragged down in there. In order so they correspond to the proper button.

MM_Settings.PNG

I quickly looked at the tutorial and did not find this. I thought that was in there, will have to double check to make sure.

Exact, this part is missing from the tutorial (at least on Wiki page). And if I’m right another user is right: the “refresh button” (for servers list) part is missing too.

Again, thank you for your great work ! :slight_smile:

Thanks arbopa, it’s pretty obvious now that I know how widget switchers work.

Another quick question… I can’t figure out how to get the Name input to show up on the Create Widget node as shown here:

I have the variable set to ‘Editable’ in MM_S_V_btn, but the Create Widget node doesn’t seem to be aware of it. Any ideas?

Also set it to ‘Expose on Spawn’ … left that out of the tutorial, just fixed it when another user ran across that.

Back in business! :cool:

Hi arbopa / all,

I’ve been following along via the blog and wiki and ive come across a problem with the resolution MM_S_V_res widget. when i try and build a package with this widget added to the MM_S_Video tab i get a package error " Referencers of Package /Engine/Transient " and the build fails. the error itself is directing me to MM_settings widget but by pulling apart over 5 hours anything & everything linked to this i have found it is the MM_S_V_res widget causing the problem as once removed the game packages and builds correctly. i have redone the video settings section 3 times now with the same results all is fine until i add the widget to the MM_S_video widget.

although when the MM_S_V_Res widget is added this works just fine in PIE mode but it will not package.

after some reading up, these engine/transient errors are linked with circular dependencies … i dont copy and paste from other BP’s and cant for the life of me work out where this error is coming from i’m hoping its a really easy stupid mistake ive made and overlooked or maybe somebody else has experienced this and can point me in the right direction .

On a side note must say a big thanks for taking time to walk people through this and also thanks to the other active guys in this thread who have already assisted me in earlier problems, and until now don’t even know it …!

any help or ideas greatly appreciated!

would need to see your MM_S_V_Res to see if I can notice anything different.