XR Creative Framework

What is the new framework?

The XR Creative Framework is built for OpenXR and enables you to build editor tools for XR devices. It supports stereo rendering, head mounted display pose, motion controller poses and input. It’s designed to be extensible in Blueprints without the need to modify engine code or plugins. Examples of such tools could be for Level Design, Modeling, and Animation.

When can we expect it?

The XR Creative Framework will ship as an experimental plugin in 5.2, but you can already access it through our 5.2 branch on GitHub (CL can be found here). We’re excited to see what the community can do with the framework, but we’re also exploring development of XR Creative Tools internally. Our focus will be on supporting existing Virtual Scouting functionality for 5.3.

UPDATE

17 Likes

I am in the middle of the production of a serious game that utilizes Unreal Engine 5.1, the XR Creative Framework sounds really promising. I would like to know if this plugin will be useful for the team. Here are some questions:

1. Does the XR Creative Framework support hand tracking and recording of gestures?
  2. Will there be any presets available for optimal performance with nanite/lumen or Foveated Rendering?
  3. Are there any known compatibility issues with Unreal Engine 5.1?
    Thank you - and please if there is any news or documentation i would love to check it out!
1 Like

No, but you can build support for that. I’d suggest you look at the Ultraleap Plugin as they have an interaction engine.

No, Nanite/Lumen is still experimental. You can build an XR Creative Mode that applies settings when initialized.

XR Creative Framework is only supported in UE 5.2 and future versions.

Ok, that’s great! Actually we are planning to use Ultraleap Devices anyway - so we will implement that with that. One of our developers had actually implemented a custom written gesture calibration and gesture recognition for hand tracking with OpenXR based on HTC’s implementation. Maybe there will be an opportunity to look at this together.
If I understand correctly, the XR Creative Framework thus already offers the possibility to implement at least own settings, that’s great!
After testing version 5.2 for the first time, i have decided to upgrade to this version, because the 5.1 had bad performance in VR.
In any case, thank you very much for the answer!

The new Virtual Scouting plugin is now available on GitHub! The plugin is experimental and will ship with 5.4. It uses the XR Creative Framework to implement a Virtual Scouting toolset in Blueprints.

For information on how to use XR Creative Framework, which the Virtual Scouting plugin is built on top of, check out Richard’s and Brian’s Unreal Fest Presentation.

1 Like

Thanks @VictorLerp for sharing this. I´m looking forward to give it a try with my team, unfortunately the link for Github is not working. Could you send a new link. Thnaks a bunch :slight_smile:

Hi @AnaGameDev. You’re probably seeing the 404 message page from github. Have you linked your epic account to your github account? Follow these instructions, if you haven’t: Unreal Engine on GitHub