Wrong shadows

Why shadows are curvy on straight cube object ? There is 3 different objects. White is Ue4’s cube.Other’s Uvs are scaled to low. Other is standart Uv directly exported. So as i understand uvs are not affects on shadows. The main question :Why shadows are curvy on straight cube object ?

Hi!

If this is static lighting it’s highly possible that the receiver surface has a low lightmap resolution!
…if not: you’ll have to share more information about your scene!

True,but can’t we set lighmap resolution automatically ? By manuel i can’t get the correct number. 256 is too high. 4 is too low+wrong shadings. I don’t know what to do.

??? I’m not sure if I fully unserstand you… :S
What do you mean by automatic lightmap resolution? Like Unreal would read your mind what quality you want and set the correct lightmap resolution according to it? :wink:
It’s in YOUR control!! Of course in the beginning Unreal will set a “random” lightmap resolution to the meshes… if you like you keep, if not you change setting as in any other software…
…there are also numbers between 4 and 256…

Hmm.Alright. Can i ask a last question? Should i give numbers like 5 7 13 19 27 ? Or i should give numbers as 4 8 16 32 64 128 256

You can ask as many questions as you like!! :slight_smile: We’ll try to answer them! :wink:
I personally would stick with those even numbers! …I’ve seen who doesn’t!!
…I think I’ve read somewhere (I might be wrong!!) that if you use in-between numbers it will round up anyway to the closest higher one, so you’ll just waste uv space…

understood.Thx

Hey, I think i solved my problem but im not sure.I setted cascated shadow maps and got much more better result.But does it has any bad sides ? Im getting a good render even if i setted their lighmap res. 4 .

Cascaded shadow maps are like dynamic shadows so will be the best quality, they don’t depend on any lightmap resolution!! You’ll have a shadow change/shift by distance usually… I think it’s as expensive as a dynamic light: the most, since it’s calculated realtime…

If i set to movable, im getting good shadows too.So what is the difference ?

Oh Wait ! I solved my problem !!! I got it ! Thank you for your help

Dynamic lights won’t produce GI!! …and they are the most expensive lights on runtime: they have to be calculated realtime! Baked lighting information is the chepest: they are pre-calculated maps!

Power of 10, dont be afraid of 2048/1024 on objects that need such immense resolution.