Would these VR errors cause a packaged game not to run?

In editor, my game works great! When I package it to run, clicking the .exe does nothing (tried right clicking and running as admin).
(engine version 4.24.3)

at the end of the log it says:
“: BUILD SUCCESSFUL
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=0 (Success)”

but earlier I get tons of warnings related to VR (see all below).
Any tips SUPER appreciated as I’d love to share my work with my friend to try.

PackagingResults: Warning: Unable to find package for cooking /Game/VirtualRealityBP/Blueprints/VirtualRealityPawn
PackagingResults: Warning: Unable to find package for cooking /Game/VirtualRealityBP/Blueprints/VirtualRealityPawn

UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): CookResults: Warning: Unable to find package for cooking /Game/VirtualRealityBP/Blueprints/VirtualRealityPawn
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogCook: Warning: Unable to find package for cooking /Game/VirtualRealityBP/Blueprints/VirtualRealityPawn

Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogInit: Display: CookResults: Warning: Unable to find package for cooking /Game/VirtualRealityBP/Blueprints/VirtualRealityPawn
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogInit: Display: LogCook: Warning: Unable to find package for cooking /Game/VirtualRealityBP/Blueprints/VirtualRealityPawn

LogInit: Display: CookResults: Warning: Unable to find package for cooking /Game/VirtualRealityBP/Blueprints/VirtualRealityPawn
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogInit: Display: LogCook: Warning: Unable to find package for cooking /Game/VirtualRealityBP/Blueprints/VirtualRealityPawn

ATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): CookResults: Warning: Unable to find package for cooking /Game/VirtualRealityBP/Blueprints/VirtualRealityPawn
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogCook: Warning: Unable to find package for cooking /Game/VirtualRealityBP/Blueprints/VirtualRealityPawn

Totally stuck here.
Would be happy to pay someone to respond / help.

It’s really hard to tell without looking at the project itself as what you are seeing could actually be a number of things.

The warnings you are seeing clearly complain about not being able to find the VirtualRealityPawn blueprint. If your game start map uses that VirtualRealityPawn but for some reason the VirtualRealityPawn cannot be packaged then the game could just be starting and closing super fast when running your game exe file.

If you want more help I suggest you share a link to the project, otherwise it’s nearly impossible telling what’s wrong.

Hey @DownToCode thanks big time for the reply.
Any suggestions on next steps? I can likely share project but should check with my collaborator at school first.

It strikes me as strange that it runs fine in the editor – wouldn’t missing a VR pawn restrict me there too.

Should I be seeing the pawn in the folder it mentions (Game/VirtualRealityBP/Blueprints/VirtualRealityPawn), maybe if I enable something in the view options perhaps?

p.s. looks like your VR debug plugin is something worth buying… I will def. pick it up

Hey @GoLionMk2

I totally understand about sharing the project, you can always DM or email me if needed.

Looking at the content folder screenshot you shared I would say that the pawn is definitely missing. The reason why it could still work is that the editor may just throw a warning and keep going whereas the packaged version may actually crash (although it seems weird). The virtual reality pawn could be specified by the game mode and spawned at runtime where the PlayerStart actor is, in the editor if it can’t find it then I guess it should also show a warning in the Output Log. If that’s the case then it would simply spawn a DefaultPawn.
One thing you can definitely do is checking the logs for the packaged game, if you go to WindowsNoEditor/GAMENAME/Saved/Logs you should see a .log file. What’s in there?

I doubt you need to enable something, the pawn should be there if you can see all the rest of the blueprints.

Definitely check out the VR Debug Plugin as I think it’s shaping out to be awesome, a new update is on its way and it will be the biggest update so far. Also, I suggest you check out this free project I shared on the forum as there is a lot to mess around with.

@DownToCode
Thanks again for the reply and support.

I did a map migration to a new fresh VR template project today, and that seems to be letting me package.
Trying to share this tomorrow so will put troubleshooting on hold for a minute.

The project you show is amazing! I can’t wait to download it and explore. Seems like you’re doing some really great work.

Hey quick question: do you have a ballpark eta for new plugin update? If it’s a week or two I will wait to buy / download to avoid updating. If it’s longer term I’ll pick up the current version.

Thanks again for the support reply yesterday – SUPER appreciate it!

@GoLionMk2 hey no problem at all for the support.
I’m pretty sure something went wrong while migrating some content with your project and should be pretty easy to fix.

I honestly don’t have an eta for the new plugin update as I am still working through a list of changes and a bug list, once done with that I got to update the documentation (for video and written) before releasing. I guess it would be better for you to get it now anyway as once I release the new version (with new features) the price will also go up by a bit.

Yh the VR Content Examples project has quite some interesting systems/features in it, it’s definitely turning out into something cool. Thanks :smiley:

OK great thanks for confirming. I will pick up the plugin this weekend.
You know how it is: updates can sometimes be a pain so I figured I’d wait if it was going to be a few days if it was soon.

I’ll pick it up ASAP… Maybe your email plug too :slight_smile: