World partition Landscape won't unload in editor

World partition landscape is always loaded in the editor. it works fine in the game but due to its big size, it lags and crashes the editor. I tried unloading it from the world partition window but when right clicking there unload options are grayed out which means its already unloaded , it only gives option to load it . I tried loading it and then unloading it but it doesn’t unload. It is also not pinned in the outliner. Thus I am at a loss as to how to unload it. Your help is really appreciated, Thanks.

5 Likes

I have the exact same issue even tried rebuilding from scratch the whole project and uninstalled and reinstalled UE5.3 and 5.2 same issue with my landscape

1 Like

Same issue - I’ve been searching for other topics on it but the only posts that come up are about people with permanently unloaded actors.

2 Likes

Same issue here, Created a new open world level, deleted the default landscape, created a new one with new settings but I can unload from world partition editor just the new foliage I’ve painted and the blocking assets I’ve set dressed, just tried building everything including all options from world partition and landscape, HLODs, minimap, spline meshes and but didnt solved, maybe there is a little detail missing in process

2 Likes

I see that there is no fix for this bug :frowning:
When creating new project sometimes it works… have no idea why. But when I finish my work close UE, and open it again the whole Landscape is loaded causing GPU crash… Maybe they will fix it in 5.4.

2 Likes

I have the same issue

2 Likes

Same here, and it is beyond sad that no one at epic games is even responding to this for a solution whatsoever

3 Likes

I do have the same issue. Works in game, does not work in editor. I have a 1000km2 landscape and it slowly becoming slower and slower while editing.

Would love to see any replay from epic here as it’s a big issue and should be resolved as fast as it is possible.

2 Likes

Do any of you have landmass brushes in the level? I observed that using a landmass brush in 5.3 breaks ineditor world partition and u cant unload parts of the map anymore. I just want to confirm that this isn’t only my problem.

Steps to break world partition in editor in 5.3:

1. Enable Landmass plugin (restart engine)
  2. Create any open world map - even the base one
  3. Add a new layer to the landscape
  4. Add a new landmass brush to the world
  5. Reload the map
  6. Try to unload some part of the world from the minimap
2 Likes

Same issue, kinda ridiculous.

This can also be affected by LandscapePatch as well.
From what it seems like adding any additional layer brushes of any kind disables unloading streaming proxies, But the reason why is where im lost.

if you are working with source the commit they broke this(And it was intentional) was this
https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/8ad410579eb878e434d5a5272d9ea1a6661c4d76

I commented out the code in teh source and amazingly you could unload areas again, Hopefully this helps you and anyone else!

1 Like

Hello, same problem here, though I figured out when and what broke it. So yesterday I tested the Water System and added a River. After it, I started to experience that the World Partition doesnt work anymore on landscape cells (though still works with foliage and external actors).
Fortunately I was able to restore my prev content and lost only one day work.
But it does mean for me, that Water System for WP is still a big no go. :frowning:

Some input about the issue how I solved (not sure it solves the problem for others):

First I created own blueprint based on Unreals’s River Body BP and I switched off “Affects Landscape” by default and I added this version to the map to avoid breaking World Partition. (Some defaults like river materials need to setup again, seems it not initialized correctly if I use this child class)
Second important thing I also disabled “Affect Height Map” in the Water Brush Manager.
Now my rivers are loading/unloading with tile and no more full landscape loaded issue.
Of course it means landscape will not affected, but it wasnt an issue for me as I’m working with presculpted river beds.

P.S. found a topic about it, it adds you need also delete Water Brush Manager which will be regenerated next editor start.

Hey ! For anyone having this issue I also found a solution that might fix your problem depending on what is causing your current issue of Landscape tiles not loading/unloading properly.

Here it goes: If you have huge splines, or really any Landscape splines, you need to go to the top left corner inside of “Build” then “Build Landscape Spline Meshes”
That fixed the problem for me.

Edit: Also restart the editor after having built the Spline Meshes.
Edit2: Nevermind… Problem came back after second restart. Now I have a good feeling it is indeed Landmass plugin not working properly with WP.

I had the same error. I tried to build the Landscape Spline Meshes but it still didn’t work. so I tried to build another map and check the cause. everything works fine until I use the landmass brush or water.
It hurts that it doesn’t work but they do mention that it’s in beta and experimental.
I hope someone can find the solution someday before the stable releases or they will come soon.
In the meantime be careful with these tools, I wasted all my time creating the lanscape and looking for a solution.