World Partition - Cannot delete unloaded actors

Im currently using the world partition system, im stuck with these 3 actors that have been deleted from the project, but still remains in the external actors somewhere. I cant load them, and I cant delete them. And the level wont cook because of them. Any good ideas about how to get rid of these? without backing up many changelists.

1 Like

I also encountered this problem if anyone has any ideas please tell :disappointed_relieved:

I solved the problem. Create an actor with just that name and re-enter the project. It will then load and you can delete them!

12 Likes

Thanks!
But is there no other way out of this situation? After all, there could be dozens or even more such files.

This didn’t work for me. Now i have two actors with the same name, one is unloaded and greyed out.

I found that this issue happened, when I deleted the ‘blueprint asset’ referenced by the actor. I was intending to delete the actors too, but the world got into this ‘invalid state’. The actors remained as ‘ghosted’ but I could not select them to properly delete them! Instead, the level preview feature just crashed the editor.

Re-creating the original [deleted] blueprint asset was necessary in order to continue to work.

It looks like a bug - the editor should allow users to ‘completely’ delete actors that could not load due to unreferenced assets?

1 Like

I have this issue. I simply deleted a blueprint I created recently, then editor crashed when I press Play button. Now in the Outliner there is unloaded actor. I can’t delete it. I tried creating new actor or blueprint with same name but it didn’t work. What should I do to fix this?

Having the exact same issues today. Not sure how to fix yet.

1. Go Into Project Settings (Edit → Project Settings]. Type in ‘default maps’ and set desired level in Editor Startup Map and Game Default Map.

2. Open up World Partition Tab [Window → World Partition → World Partition Editor]. Select desired cell in World Partition Tab and right click and use Load Selected Cells.

1. Save All or Level [File → Save Current Level] or [File → Save All] (I did both). After, Reopen Project [File → Open Project] and you should see your actors loaded on the map.

1. Select desired Actors in World Outliner then delete. After delete save like before [File → Save Current Level] or [File → Save All]. If you have a lot of items there will be a loading bar saying ‘Cleaning External Actors’.

2. Reopen Project again and they should be gone.

Hopefully this helps and good luck.

5 Likes

Itsaguagua
Hi there i tried your solution and this didn’t work for me im having an issue with removing my ocean it just says its unloaded and i cant remove it :frowning:
Any ideas?

I am having this issue as well. nothing above seems to work for me. Just like @iehgbulsaed48 I was trying to delete a Blueprint.

I think if you click the PIN ICON to the left in the outliner it loads the object back into the editor!

13 Likes

Thank you!

I was looking into how to re-load the unloaded actors after converting level to world partition. This works!

Can’t say any of this worked for me unfortunately. It’s so easy to accidentally do it too.

I’d been having issues with an FBX scene that I imported from Blender because the scaling was off, so I deleted the actor from the map (because this is not the first time I’ve had a level with unloaded actors), then deleted the assets, and re-imported the scene from Blender into the content drawer. I opened up some of the scene items in the item editor, and the scale was still off - so I deleted them from the content drawer again.

But UE5 was so nice to have added the scene to the map for me when I imported them.
Another unloaded actor.

Pinning and un-pinning, re-importing the same FBX, nothing works. Luckily I was at a point where I could lose all progress I’d made, so I closed Unreal and didn’t save the project - reopened the project, actors were loaded up, deleted them properly and re-imported the correct scaled ones.

Ok, a very dumb fix for the crashing is to click Settings>Hide Unloaded Actors

they will still be there somewhere but at least you can play without crashing now.

This is an annoying bug. Hope will be fixed later.

Only thing helped me - deleting actors manually form ExternalActors folder.

I’ve lost ours of work because of this insane bug. Why putting UE5 out when world Partition was not ready, with loading bugs that break maps (3rd time for me) when Nanite wans’t supporting any transparency / masking ? Epic is bragging about it but when you really start to work with this, it can be hell.

3 Likes

I have the same error … I also can’t find a suitable solution.

Dear Epic developer team please remove this bug.

1 Like

So i am adding my 2 cts on this issue which haunted me since UE 5.0.0…

This seems to occur also without World Partition. It is enough to just delete some actors and then to wait for some time withut doing anything (maybe 15 minutes or so). The deleted actors suddenly reappear as unloaded.
When I then reopened the level, the unloaded actors were all there and loaded again as if i never deleted them.

This happened with the Thirdperson Template level and the actors which come automatically with it after creating a new Thirdperson project.

2 Likes

I have this bug too. Very annoying.