World Outliner Hidden/Visible. Not working

Dear Epic.

Would it please be possible to add the correct functionality to the World Outliner for item visibility? When a user makes an item hidden or visible this needs to be reflected during Play and also Saved. Currently hidden items are always made visible during play and are visible when you load the map, if they were hidden during the save.

This is either a bug? or bad design feature? or hard to solve. Unity Hierarchy system relies on this core functionality for scene management. It’s ideal for testing lights or objects in scenes.

1 Like

Hi 8Infinite8,

The World Outliner is not designed for use during PIE and instead designed for use in the editor viewport to make changes quickly. Additionally, it is intended that the Outliner is set each session as opposed to at project load. To hide actors in game, please use the Detail’s Pane to set the visibility of the actor.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. How then do users manage scenes and maps on a large scale? How can they view what is hidden without a hierarchy visibility option? Also where is the option to hide the actor in the Detail’s Pane view?

2 Likes

If you type in “hidden” in the details pane search bar the options should appear, though you can also find them in the Rendering section of the Details Pane when the actor is selected. For organization, I highly recommend utilizing either sublevels (in which you could hide/show entire sublevels of actors), or utilize folders within the World Outliner. This would give you greater control over what is seen/not seen when you need it during editing and can help to keep track of various assets placed within larger levels.

Thanks for the extra info.

If you type in “hidden” in the details
pane search bar the options should
appear, though you can also find them
in the Rendering section of the
Details Pane when the actor is
selected

Useful but scene or map wise there is no indication if something is visible or invisible. Rendering/Visible has no link to the World Outliner.

This would give you greater control
over what is seen/not seen when you
need it during editing and can help to
keep track of various assets placed
within larger levels.

This is useful but again ignored during saving/loading and during Play.

Thank you for your suggestions, we will take this under consideration. It is important to note that you can select actors>RMB>Visibility>Hide on Startup, which should resolve at least some of the concerns raised here.

Fast forward a few years, has anyone figured out how to actually hide assets in World Outline AND play view?! Seems very obtuse that you have to jump through hoops just to hide some things from your game view for testing, doesn’t it?

ue5 is here but this still is not fixed same with layer

This simple thing has remained unresolved for 6 years… amazing…

Holy hell. this is still not fixed. dammmm. even in c4d you can click hide from render

1 Like

OMG I don`t understand why such a basic feature has not been solved yet!

I I am facing this issue because my scene has an older model of my building which I accidentally brought and now I dont see a way to hide it from my movie render other than delete the whole thing. Which I am also afraid to do it and you know why.

I dont understand why in the preview mode in the master sequencer, the actors are hidden the way they are in the Outliner but for the final rendering export is not.

Could someone write a plugin for this? I found something that someone tried to do here ue4-sapphires/HierarchicalSceneComponentVisibilityManager at master · hillin/ue4-sapphires · GitHub

I thought it will solve the issue but then in the end it says

“This class only manages visibility, or more specifically, the bVisible property of scene components. So it won’t handle HiddenInGame nor CollisionEnabled. While it’s difficult to create a proper manager that handles them all, you can create separate managers to handle each of them similar to this one”

Could someone please write a class/plugin for handling HiddenInGame property or make the changes to this one?

2 Likes