World Normals Render Pass not recognizing translucent and emissive materials

Hey Everyone,

I am hoping to get an answer on this cause I have looked everywhere and not found anything.

I am trying to render out images form Unreal that will be getting some post work done to it and I was going to use the World Normals pass to add some shape. It was only after rendering did I realize that Translucent (glass, clear plastic) and emissive materials do not render with World Normals or Position data.

I was able to get world position data by applying custom depth to the geo and creating a custom world position pass. Sadly despite my best efforts, normals are still showing up as blank.

Does anyone know how to get World Normal data for translucent and emissive materials

This is the expected behavior due to translucent materials being rendered in a separate forward shading pass. They cannot render their normals at the time everything else does, or else the pixels behind them would lack normals.

Since you are doing this for post work, just render once with the object as translucent, and a second time with it opaque. Then you can take the normals from the opaque render and do whatever you need with them, and still retain the data behind the glass to properly blend it.

1 Like