World aligned texturing on 90° edges

Hello, I would like to know if there is a way to make a world aligned texture flow on 90° angles, like this:

db3cd2e9794d875ff8d66d3cbe56f7491b7b4ccf.jpeg

I would like to blend the textures to avoid this seam effect. Is it possible? Thank you.

I guess you’re looking for something called Triplanar Mapping.

No, this doesn’t help my material :confused: I am using world align to project a texture and I would like to make it flow through 90° angles.
Tri planar just make a projection of three different textures based on the axis

There are two separate planes which generate an angle, I have to tell the material to continue the projection… how?

There is no automatic way to do what you want with 2d textures. The reason why is that you can move the wall anywhere and the broken pattern needs to line up with both edges.

The only way I know how to do that is with a very advanced pseudo 3d volume texture for the alpha. You could use the noise node but it will be expensive.

The manual method is to pick a texture, pick an arbitrary 2d axis for it to act as a plane against, and then invent some imaginary rule for creating the 3rd dimension. Ie it could be the sine wave of the missing dimension applied to the 2d value, perhaps with some variation and mixing a second planar axis.

Here is one cheap way to do a psuedo 3d texture. This version starts from top down XY coordinates and then adds blended offset samples along the Z axis. The effect is a kind of shear along the Z axis. A shear is probably not ideal but you can easily change that part of the math to be pseudo random rather than linear offset. I didn’t do that though because it’s more work to make it seamless.

Note this method has issues with mips. I have just set it to mip level 0. using derivitive mode might be best.

Notice the blocky artifacts. Those are from the manually blended Z slices. You could hide them with a sub tiling noise texture and height lerp. or reducing the Z slice size and reducing the shear amount to compensate.

I messed around and it works great to do the above method twice, once with + the other with - shear, then multiply them together and take square root. Very natural looking and only 4 texture samples.

1 Like