World Aligned Material Normal only showing on 4 sides of mesh instead of all 6.

Hey guys,

For some reason I having an issue with my world aligned material. I have a modular wall piece I am using all over my level. It is a six sided mesh with all the vertex normals facing in the correct direction. After applying a simple world aligned material, the normal map doesn’t seem to be affecting to sides of the wall. it affects 4 sides accurately, but leaving 2 out. I am attaching pictures of the same as well as the material blueprint. If any one has any idea why this is happening and how I can fix it, I would really appreciate it! Thank in advance!

Could you post a screenshot of the material nodes?
And does it show only on specific faces of the mesh or it depends on how you rotate it?

Hey Rvillani,

thanks for your reply! I have uploaded a better picture of the material nodes. Rotation of the mesh doesn’t change anything, same faces remain without the normal map. It seems to be specific to the mesh, but the mesh is just one simple 6 sided mesh.

The material seems ok. I’m not very familiar with the World Aligned Texture node, though… So, if the problem has to do with it, I won’t know.

2 things to think about:

1. When you multiply the NormalStrengh, you don’t need to break the vector. You can multiply it directly as you did with the Specularity.
  2. Sometimes 3Ds Max gives me headaches messing up my UVs. I found a solution when this happens that is to simply add an Edit Mesh to the top of the stack, then export the mesh. See if it helps.

If the Max fix don’t work, could you send me a link to the textures and the mesh so I can try and see if it works on my end?

Something else I noticed, unrelated to the problem at hand.
Get rid of your specular map, and be sure to get a roughness map.
Has way more impact on your visual fidelity, and with ue4 being a pbr engine, it makes sense :slight_smile:

I believe the world aligned texture node is a triplanar texture, meaning it is projected in world space in the X, Y, and Z direction. What is your use case that you would want to use this on a 6-sided mesh?