Wired Shadow flickering in the UE5.

Hello everyone,

This is my old project made in Unreal 5.0.0 or 5.0.1 now i have opened back again in latest version Unreal 5.0.2.
and i have this weird flickering shadow issue. can’t figure out why it is happening.

Global illumination and Reflections set to none . in project settings.
Post processing volume set to none.
the material have RGB and masked opacity.

please help!!!
Thank you

Could it be cumulative AA that is using previous frames to build it’s anti aliasing profile that is messing up the image quality? Maybe try a different type of AA?

Right now it is Temporal Anti-Aliasing. and changing To MSAA or FSAA making it worse. so i don’t think it is AA issue.

Try turning on “distance field shadows” for your lights.

somehow it goes away when i change Gi to lumen in post processing volume.
But at a cost of good contact shadow. now my contact shadow in the scene are nearly gone.
So most probably it is happening because screen space Shadow or Screen space AO.

if i change GI to None, raytrace or screen space it doesn’t change anything. Now i just want to understand why is this happenig. i have other Project where i have already turned on lumen and still getting this kind of flickering in shadow.

it would be great if someone can explain it to me.
thank you.

Is the fence mesh nanite or is it a plane with alpha maps?

It is not nanite just plane with alpha maps. two sided on. Tested with two sided off same result.

I’m getting ok shadows on my end with an alpha chainlink fence in 5.0.3.
Maybe the upgrade of the engine left some garbage in the cache that is incompatible with the latest upgrade.
How does it look in 5.0.3 have you tried there?

Try these:

r.Shadow.Virtual.ContactShadowLength
(default set to 0.02) crank it down if you need 0.01

r.Shadow.Virtual.ResolutionLodBiasDirectional
(default is 0) cranck it down -1;-2 for get rid off of the jaggering shadows DIRCTIONAL LIGHT ONLY

r.Shadow.Virtual.ResolutionLodBiasLocal
(default is 0) cranck it down -1;-2 for get rid off of the jaggering shadows IN LOCAL SPACE

r.Shadow.Virtual.NormalBias
(default is 0) cranck it up if you need to fix shadow maps problem 0.5 to 2 max

1 Like

If the flickering looks like black animated noise, this is likely due to your Anti Aliasing setting. Any setting other than Temporal AA and Temporal Super Sampling will cause this because there’s a rendering issue with Ambient Occlusion. Your only option is to switch your AA to one of the temporal options, or disable AO. I suggest Temporal AA as it results in less material smearing for animated materials (panner, rotation etc.)

I hope this is something that Epic eventually addresses, but my guess is it’s low on their priority list as it’s been an issue since UE 4.0