WIP - Dynamic Left 4 Dead 2-Style Wounds/Dismemberment

@EvilEngine - Would love to see your material!

so, when? :smiley:

I got some work done on this, finally got the ellipse mask and the projection texture combining. I’ve come to the conclusion also that doing skinned pre-made mesh wounds isn’t going to work at least for my character setup (due to morphs) so I’m working on a method to make universal wound meshes.

Currently distracted playing ATLAS but I should be getting back to the wound setup soon here.

Looks like any attempts of copying Valve’s features have a side effect of forcing you into Valve time while implementing them!

Jokes aside, it’s been a while since I checked this thread. In fact, initially when I did, I was barely starting to get accustomed with the engine. Two and a half years later, I’m feeling pretty confident with the C++ side of things, but unfortunately, materials aren’t exactly my thing and not something I’ve managed to master to a satisfying extent.

With this said: not to sound too insistent, but I think if you release whatever work you’ve managed to accomplish so far, it is more than likely that someone will pick it up and finish. Otherwise, it will basically never get done. I understand the desire to make it perfect, but the speed of progress nullifies all noble intents. It’s been in a state of “almost done” for years now.

So, unless your intent is to sell the feature on the marketplace (which is understandable and completely fine; if anything, I’d be among the first buyers), then I really do suggest letting the community finish it. It’s an amazing thing and would benefit everyone.

The reason I haven’t posted anything in a while is that the remaining parts of the system are pretty much required to be specific to a given character. So I’ve been working on a different method of dealing with capping the body parts, but haven’t finished it because I’m focused on other parts of my project. That said I am doing combat right now so I have a need for this again and will try to get something done with it soon.

Any chance in sharing your work yet? There’s nothing like this even in the marketplace.

Patience, dude… He’s on it! Releasing any moment now…

/s

At this point now, he’s doing a disservice to the community.

Don’t worry about it. The marketplace has been amazing for the last year. I am absolutely positive we’ll be seeing a cool gore system in the foreseeable future. Way better than the ancient L4D2 sphere mask stuff.

:wink:

That’s insanely impressive. I’m not even sure how to build something like that myself. It seems to just blend the geometry seamlessly! Is it some kind of texture applied over the top layer that also does a geometry shader to move the outer layer inward?

I was looking at DooM Eternal too.

I don’t know the details but it sounded like they had layers of clipped geometry and gore meshes. Somehow the gore just blends so amazingly there. It even seems to have concave areas so it’s not necessarily as simply as pushing the geometry in with a vertex shader, but I’d be OK with that since it sounds simpler.

What I’m not necessarily sure about is how to create such a texture mask over a character and have it follow the animated character. Simply projecting a decal onto a character won’t make that decal deform properly with the animation.

Maybe this will be helpful: Skeletal Mesh Texture Paint - Unreal Engine Tutorial (Blueprint Only) - YouTube

1 Like