[WIP] Caves, Rocks and Plant packages

Yeah, it’s not going to make a practical difference in case. But bleeding out from the edges is better practice in general, especially for larger scale foliage/transparency which is likely to get MIP mapped.

Thats for sure, from experience should all work fine but ill def. work out all the kinks before I submit something.
Granted there is always that one thing I forget but ill do my best :slight_smile:

Those plants are just wonderful! Nice job!

And thanks for sharing your method with those pictures, great work

Have you thought about implementing your plants in speedtree as well? The default, free speedtree files are quite limited at present, it’d be nice to have a free library of additional plants to use in it, and doing them up in speedtree means they’re randomisable and customisable, as well as letting speedtree produce all your billboards for you too.

sweeeeeet :smiley:
I’d love to see a short video demo showing some of these assets in-game // how they’d look within a level…!

I would not make the leaf package for free, so even if I did implement them into speedtree there would still be costs involved.
I am considering to implement them for speedtree eventually.

There will be video’s made for all the assets once they are all done :slight_smile:

Here are some images of the caves (and its props), mind you very Work In Progress.

Looks fine. I really like the rocky textures!
Tried to create a similar system by myself… but seems to be a very solid base :slight_smile:

Nice work, especially the plants. =)

Better image of one of the cave parts.

Currently trying to solve a normal map + Vertex paint seam.
The is posted on answerhub: Normal map not propperly vertexpaint blending - Platform & Builds - Epic Developer Community Forums

I really like the plants, they look awesome :slight_smile:
Great work so far, keep it up!

Just a small update:
contact sheet of about 30% of the assets for the rock/Cave package.

Very good work! Assets are clean and and impressive!

Been a while since I updated post, but besides setting some materials, LOD’s and lightmap settings…
The 400 meshes for the cave package are done!

Video: [UE4]Luos Cave package short showcase - YouTube

Almost done, sending the package to a few friends to test it out while I spend some time finetweaking and setting up some stuff for a howto modular caves tutorial for the beginners amongst us as well as a nice video to show of the content.

Some (very) random images I collected over the past week:

And last, a very crappy flythrough/by of the mod. cave system:

Bleeding color around the edges has been an old stand-by for sprite art using “over” blending mode for thirty years.
(GL programmers recognize as SRC_ALPHA, ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA blend mode)
Too bad it is totally physically inaccurate and limits the expressiveness of your textures.

It turns out that pre-multiplied alpha is what you want.
(GL programmers recognize as ONE, ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA blend mode)
With pre-multiplied alpha, there will not be any “bleed” because none of the black surrounding border is over-blended.
Additionally, with pre-multiplied alpha, you can choose to “brighten” the output pixel (low alpha, high color value,) “darken” the output pixel (high alpha, low color value) or do a “proper” blend (alpha and color values are matched.)

As a non GL programmer… I have absolutely no clue what you mean Jwatte :stuck_out_tongue: Apologies!

Look forward to seeing your work on the Marketplace!

sweeeeeeeeet!

Plants 31 & 32 are my kind of plants :wink:

Small update:
About 99% done.

Added some cool functionality to the meshes/shader

all stuff so far: