Windows Mixed Reality, Unreal 5 and HP Reverb G2 headset?

Hi, I am new here, I am Unity handyman.
I’d like to compare Unity and Unreal VR apps running Windows Mixed reality (with the same assets), but I can’t even get a basic VR scene to run in Unreal Engine 5. The tracking seems to work (on a PC display, but with very low FPS) but the headset is dark.
Question 1.- is it possible to run applications from Unreal in the HP Reverb G2 headset using “Windows Mixed Reality for Steam”?
Question 2.- is this theoretically possible or does it already work for you?
Question 3.- is it possible to find a tutorial for this somewhere- because Epic and Microsoft’s documentation is pretty lacking?
Thank you very much!

Hello

Apologies for no replies to your questions.

As a G2 user myself (besides other HMD’s), Windows mixed reality is a bit of hit and miss depending on what your are trying to do. The best option to get your G2 working properly is to enable the HP for Reverb G2 plugin which will then auto enable OpenXR plugin when you have UE5 running. As long as your G2 is properly working with your computer is will work out of the box with these enabled. You may still need to configure your controllers (the way you want) in the input section but they should work fine in the VR template provided in UE5. Working with OpenXR will probably be the easiest way to get the G2 running with UE5. There shouldn’t be anything different working with OpenXR from working with the native mixed reality plugin other than everything will work much better and smoother.

One thing to note, upon running the VR template in UE5, and your G2 is running fine…just delete the items your don’t need in the open project VR template that is running and carry on with your VR apps as needed. Leaving everything as is is also fine to save any confusion.

The other option is to have the G2 work through SteamVR, but that takes a lot more effort…especially with the controllers.

A brief answer your questions:

1 = yes, but you need SteamVR also configured
2 = yes totally possible, but a bit of research will be needed to configure controllers
3 = yes, Google will definitley provide many. Youtube also. A search on this forum will also provide some great info.

Cheers!!!

1 Like

Lumen is enabled by default in all UE5 projects and it’s not supported in VR as of now - that’s primarily why you’re seeing poor performance.

The new VR Template in UE5 and 4.27 has been tested for the Reverb G2. In UE5 disable Lumen in Project Settings (search for “Global Illumination”) by setting it to “None”. This is temporary and will be fixed when UE5 is no longer in Early Access. As long as the Reverb G2 is connected and working you can now click the VR Preview button to play the VR Template in VR!

1 Like

Hmmmm not great that these posts are from a year ago and still seems to not be working…

I am trying to use the editor in VR not really make a game…

Any idea if this might still be on the horizon?

Thanks

I have a problem regarding VR with the G2.
I tried to play the VR template but then it is greyed out. Do I need to install other software to test the VR from Unreal Editor (UE5)?

Thank you!

there is a mixed reality plugin
I enabled it and it started working with the g2
the input mappings are all different from oculous in the vr expansion plugin, so its a slog to get it set up for inputs at first

The Mixed Reality Plugin has been removed in 5.1, and is not required to use G2. However, it’s recommended to enable the “HP Motion Controller”-plugin, as it will give you the HP Reverb Inputs.

Make sure that you have the Windows Mixed Reality runtime installed and set up (Windows Mixed Reality Home should be working prior to running the Editor). You should also make sure that Windows Mixed Reality is set to be the active OpenXR runtime, this tool is great to check which OpenXR runtime is currently active, and to switch between them: GitHub - maluoi/openxr-explorer: A cross-platform OpenXR capabilities explorer and runtime switcher with a CLI and GUI.

1 Like

Yes, I am trying it in 5.1

I enabled the SteamVR plugins, and it worked.

Sadly it is blinking when I move around. I have no idea why, maybe because of the Lumen and Nanite. But then it is not happening if I use Oculus Quest 2. Do you have any idea why?

so this isn’t really necessary?

If you enable SteamVR, you’re no longer using OpenXR. SteamVR has been deprecated and won’t see further support. It’s recommended to use OpenXR.

Nope, not necessary.

1 Like

thx
if I don’t need the extra 400 meg ms plugin
that’s good

How about the blinking on the HP Reverb G2? Is it because of the SteamVR or probably cannot handle the Lumen and Nanite from Unreal?

IDK
I don’t see any blinking in mine really, its better than quest for stability
I use the open xr plug with the hp g2 plug
I don’t have mixed reality or steam plugins enabled in my proj
I use both the UE vr template and I have projects that use the VR expansion plugin template.
I don’t think you need the steam plugin in unreal
when I use steam now it is set to use the windows mixed reality xr runtime in steam

I have the same issue, but I don’t think it might be related to Lumen as it is disabled in my project. Any news?

I think the dynamic lighting makes it blinking a lot

Is there a way to get Windows Mixed Reality to stop showing this blue vanishing triangle transition each time I play from Editor? The editor shows the VR preview screen at once on PC monitor, but in the actual headset it always shows this transition that uses 2-3 seconds.

Very annoying when testing and debugging…

(I use HP G2 Omnicept, UE 5.2.1, Win11)