Download

Wiki Code Tutorials

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]New Tutorial!

Draw 3D Debug Points, Lines, and Spheres!

A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements and Releases - Unreal Engine Forums!

Enjoy this new tutorial!

Rama

[QUOTE=BlackRang666;5923]
Hey Rama, if you read this and have the time, could you take a look at my thread here -> https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?973-Trying-to-follow-Linking-Static-Libraries-tutorial ?  I'm trying to follow the static linking tutorial, but I have ran into an error I don't quite understand in the context.
[/QUOTE]

Ask Bob Gneu, he wrote the tutorial!

[QUOTE=Straits;5943]
Does anyone know of any tutorials or documentation about networking? I would really appreciate anyone who could explain how to host a session, have another player join that session, and have the players movement sync'd between both players.
[/QUOTE]

Coming soon, 

but **player movement is synced for you by the way**, its an AWESOME thing about UE4 network code.

I have made your two factual corrections regarding Enums and USTRUCTS()

Thanks for the corrections!

I quoted your ENUM correction, thanks for taking the time :slight_smile:

I have always debated with people about the Wiki being generic content not authored by people.

The fact is that I am putting forth hours of my day to author content, so I want recognition for it.

Currently the "Contributions" page does not work, so it is impossible for people to know from a glance that I have authored the vast majority of the code tutorials on the wiki, which represents the past week of my life.

Until there is a sufficient means to honor my efforts I retain my style and manner of expression.

*When the content on a particular page no longer is mostly mine, then at that point I do not mind what is edited out.*

Dear Community

is a friendly way to great new comers to the Wiki

Newcomers are set at ease by such phrasing.

We are people after all, and human kindness is lacking in this world.

While depersonalization of Wiki content is a “thing” it is something I very much disagree with.

People are behind every wiki page, people are reading the wiki pages,

we are people, no need to depersonalize everything.

If you disagree with me, spend hours writing your own wiki pages and do them your way :slight_smile:

You are speaking of the Wiki as a sort of free for all zone where editing can occur any time,

well fine, then let me do it my way until such a time as the content on the page does not comprise mostly my own precious time.

**There is No Pressure On You**

By clearly marking my pages with my own vernacular,

*I am also making it clear that it is NOT Epic's content*, 

lifting any sort of pressure off of you to ensure accuracy of the content.

I am to blame if my content is not accurate, 

and the reader knows to take what I write not as truth, but as my opinion and perspective.

Conclusion (better than summary perhaps)

I write this firmly but I am not closed off to further discussion, but please deeply consider my points and my perspective before replying.

And realize I am not trying to argue, I am trying to express very clear points, that I hope came across in this post.

Rama

PS: I am excited about this shift regarding including “C++”, once the shift is live let me know!

I am not yet sure I understand exactly what the change is tho :slight_smile:

Hey everyone,

I wanted to take a sec to address some of the points Rama and Jonwd7 have brought up.

First, let me address ownership. All pages of the Wiki, except the Main Page, are up for the community to edit freely. This means that any content that User A creates, is free to be edited by User B and vice versa. It is very important that the Wiki be moderated by the community so that it can be kept up-to-date, typo free and consistent. Any content submitted to the Wiki is taken out of the original creators hands. That being said, we do intend to recognize the original creator on the page itself. This should be done by keeping a signature at the bottom of the page for now. Additionally, the contributions pages will be opened up soon, they were closed pre-launch and accidentally left in that state.

Pages should follow the basic conventions put forward in the Get Involved page. Personalization is not discouraged, we only want to make sure that other users will not be confused by overly-flourished instructions. This would mean having confusing grammar is a problem (ex. breaking up a sentence on multiple lines), but using the first person is fine. If a user has to ask for an explanation of a step, that is a problem. If there is an encouraging comment somewhere, as long as it does not throw off the reader, then it is fine.

I can see that you both care greatly for your community, but I have to ask that you both make some changes to your approach with the Wiki. Rama, your tutorials are fantastic and a real help for people new to C++, however they would benefit from being more traditionally structured when it comes to grammar and punctuation. Jonwd7, you have brought up a lot of good points about legibility and consistency, this has shown me that I will need to add a few more guidelines so that no one is confused, but I also want you to understand that there is no reason a page has to be neutrally presented.

I hope this helps to clarify things, but if you have any more questions, please just ask or PM me. I am always here for the community!

P.S. Extensions are coming! I have had plans for YouTube embedding, Star Ratings, InfoBoxes and much more for a while; Well before I was getting requests for them left-and-right. We are still primarily focusing our efforts on the AnswerHub and Forums to make sure everything is going smooth, so testing and implementing extensions are still going to be on the backburner for just a little bit longer.

Yay!

Woohoo!

Sounds good to me, though I may not know what "traditional grammar and punctuation is at times, so if you see persistent patterns let me know :slight_smile:

Yaaaaayyyyyyy!!!

Thanks for the clarifications Alexander!

Mr. Jonwd7 I hope you see that I respect your opinion that I quote you on the ENUM page and that I changed my USTRUCT() explanation.

Such factual corrections are always welcome (or could simply be corrected directly)

Rama

New Tutorial: Logs

New Tutorial!

Logs, Print Messages to Yourself During Runtime!

Enjoy!

Rama

PS: this one is really important to help you work through your C++ logic step by step as you are building your algorithms :slight_smile:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Entry Level Guide to UE4 C++

Enjoy!

Rama

Featured Tutorial:

Dynamic Arrays

Featured Tutorial:

Operator Overloads, Make Your Own UE4 C++ Operators!

Thanks for all the effort you put in. This one helped me to understand the basics a lot more ! thanks. Keep it up.

Yay I am glad you enjoyed my Entry Level C++ Guide!

:slight_smile:

Rama

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]New Tutorial!

Algorithm Analysis: Create Directory Recursively

This function ensures that all required directories are created in order to make the correct subdirectory!

Enjoy!

Rama

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Featured Tutorial: Traces / Ray Casts

Trace Functions For You

Rama

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]My First Ever Slate Tutorial!

Edit Text Box, Custom Rendering, Use Any True Type Font

A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements and Releases - Unreal Engine Forums,Custom_Rendering%26_Any_TrueTypeFont

Special features of my code:

1. Set the default font of the Edit Text to use any True Type Font that you prefer!

2. Easy function to change what True Type Font is being used, during runtime.

3. Completely customize the actual display of the text that the user is entering, using any alternative text rendering setup that you prefer.

4. Easy way to show / hide the Edit Text caret (the blinking vertical bar)

5. Copy / Paste text to and from the OS clipboard!

Bump, see my very first Slate tutorial Above!

Slate is awesome!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]50+ Tutorials for You

Rama

Thanks for this!! You are awesomesauce.

Hee hee!

Rama

Just doing some peer reviewing and one recommendation I would make is perhaps you should explain more why you do certain things rather then just “telling” readers to do things . Example in the Templates tutorial you don’t explain why Templates are required to be declared in the header. I assume these are targeted at beginner programmers and they should learn why as well and just not the how.

I have to agree with you on that one Agentleo. i’d like to know more about what or why something is someway so I can understand it better other than just simply plug a into b and wham you have a light. I mean you don’t have to explain electricity but at least put out there how it works in some form.

Actually the reason I dont explain a lot of C++ stuff is because you have the whole world available to you on the matter of strict C++.

You can google c++ templates .cpp and get the info you want!

My tutorials introduce the topic, but google can tell you everything I didn’t explain :slight_smile:

If you have strict C++ questions, google can tell you anything you want to know about one of the most dominant programming languages in the world!

ex:

ex 2: (awesome link )
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/templates.html

:slight_smile:

This was not the case with Unrealscript,

but welcome to the reason why C++ is now the primary programming language we are all enjoying in UE4! (Thank You Epic!)

If you cant find the answer to a question do let us all know here in the forums!

After reading my above comment, do you have questions specific to UE4 C++ that you have not found answers to? Always check google first as it might be a strict C++ question :slight_smile:

Rama

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Procedural Mesh Tutorial

This one is not by me, but it’s absolutely amazing so I had to post it :slight_smile:

Great Work Dmacesic!

Rama