Widget reference not viable as a sub-object property binding?

Hello, I have a widget (A) with a reference variable to another widget class. If I add a text block to the widget (A), and click on the “bind” drop down list, the widget reference does not appear as a sub-object property.

I was wondering if I was doing something wrong, so I added a character reference which indeed shows up. Then an actor reference which shows up and finally an Object reference which does show up.

But not a widget reference. Why is that and is that a bug or intended?

The widget reference is not a parent and having it as a parent is not an option in this case.

Hello ste1nar,

I have a couple of questions for you that will help narrow down what issue it is that you are experiencing.

Quick questions:

1. Can you reproduce this issue in a clean project?
  2. If so, could you provide a detailed list of steps so as to reproduce this issue on our end?

Note: The steps will help determine the exact method you are attempting and allow us to make sure we are on the same page.

Reproduced in a first person template.

A1. Create WidgetA class.

A2. Create WidgetB class.

A3. (optional) Create WActor class.

A4 (optional) create a text variable in WidgetB.

B1. Open WidgetA.

B2. Create a variable of type widgetB reference.

B3. (optional) Create a variable of type WActor reference.

C1. In WidgetA add a text block.

C2. Click on the bind button, notice that widgetB does not show up as a sub-object property.

121482-widgetsubprop.png

I was able to reproduce this issue on our end. I have written up a report and I have submitted it to the developers for further consideration. I have also provided a link to the public tracker. Please feel free to use the link provided for future updates.

Link: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-40464)

Make it a great day