Why the launcher crashes when opening a project (explanation and report below)?

Hi there,

I have the Unreal Engine 4 installed on a Hp notebook windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, with as well the Epic Games initializer (where I try to open my project).

The initializer crashes when I try to open my project and reports the following messages (of which I will translate the first, as it is not in English):

“It was not possible to find the procedure entry point LeaveCriticalSection in the dynamic link library api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll.”

and

“DX12 is not supported on your system. Try running without the -dx12 or -d3d12 command line argument.”

Any help would be much appreciated in solving this, thank you!

Sounds like you are attempting to run in directx12 mode on a machine which does not have it installed. I don’t believe that directx 12 is supported in windows 7.

Make sure you have no RTX raytracing features enabled in your project as these require directx 12.

@Clayton.Campbell That’s a bugger! You were right, well, I am a newbie to this; I guess I will have to buy a new notebook or desktop OR at least install the “wonderful, super gorgeous” Windows 10 and install Direct 12.