Why is this translucent material not opaque, if opacity = 1?

I can still see behind it, even though it should be fully opaque (Opacity == 1). Why?

I am trying to create a material that is partly opaque and partly translucent (opacity controlled by a texture). But it’s never fully opaque.

Hi lxiguis -

This is because of our new deferred rendering which does have some limitations in regards to translucency. Feel free to check out the documentation here for a more concise answer.

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

Thanks for the info.

Is it possible then to create metallic, mirror-like reflections on translucent materials? Whenever I set Metallic to 1, the translucent material becomes black and non reflective.

If not, I think perhaps using a static cube map would work. But using the scene’s reflection captures would be best.

did you manage to solve this? I’m trying to make a wall fade out/fade in changing the opacity of its materials over a period of time, but when the opacity is 1 I can see other translucent materials through the wall.

1 Like

Nope. Eric said it’s currently impossible, I just didn’t check “answered” yet because I’ve that question about metallic reflections in translucent materials.

Found a workaround to this problem. Use the masked blend mode and use a DitherTemporalAA node to control opacity. The level AdvancedMaterials (or something like that) in the ContentExamples has an example of this.

2 Likes

Use the mapped blend option.

That’s for a masked material (parts are opaque, parts are invisible). I wanted a transparent (translucent) material. Anyway, dithered opacity solved my problem.

pasting the solution for reference: The level AdvancedMaterials (or something like that) in the ContentExamples has an example of this.

Genius thx :pray: