why is my mesh so weird after importing them as FBX

Hello everyone, I’m currently dealing with failing Geometry when importing several meshes as FBX files…

I’ve created all the Meshes myself in C4D first. I want to export these without textures, so I can generate the materials in Unreal and apply them there. However, my geometries take some kind of weird form in different places which makes it almost impossible to texture them. See this screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/Hgt5lEa.jpg

I’m completely new to Unreal and game-engines in general, so the answer is probably really simple. Still, I would really appreciate it if someone could explain to me what is going on with my meshes.

The reason why your mesh textures appear stretched or compressed might be due to bad UV. Before applying materials in UE4, you need to ensure that your model is properly UV mapped.

The following youtube tutorial explains UV maps: Youtube video by FlippedNormals

The video is centered around Maya, however, it explains basic concepts applicable to C4D as well.

In addition to UV maps, if some walls appear invisible, that may be caused by one-sided geometry. For example, a plane primitive only has textures on one side. A solution to this is either to rework your 3D Model to use cuboids/prisms for walls or enabling Double-Sided Geometry found in the Static Mesh viewer. However Double-Sided Geometry might incur some performance drawbacks for larger and complex models.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Thank you for your reply. By the time you replied, I had already figured it out myself. But this was actually the answer I was looking for :slight_smile: Perhaps one question I could ask you concerning this topic: should I avoid the use of Fillet and Bevel when creating 3D models for Unreal?

Thank you for your effort