why is my mesh flickering?

Imgur: The magic of the Internet small mesh like leaves are flickering. i tried removing material nothing changed i tried turning off lumen nothing changed i tried changing anti-aliasing to every single one nothing changed i tried upscaling to 200 it helped but their is still some flickering. i also tried turning off shadows nothing changed, also tried different version of ue5 and different project nothing changed. only way flickering stoped was to changing to unlit mode.
i tried every single command that i found but nothing worked. the lumen commands don’t work since disabling it didn’t resolve the problem.
help :smiling_face_with_tear:

Try different anti-alias methods ( project settings ).

i tried it says in the text that i tried changing to every single one but nothing changed but thanks anyways

1 Like

maybe check if the mesh is doubled

no it is not doubled all small mesh is doing it, even details on big one(and i checked in blender it is not doubled)

Have you tried switching Anti Aliasing off completely? I have a similar problem without solution so far, consisting in flickering foliage when rendering in MRQ with Anti Aliasing. Rendering without AA stops the flickering in my case. This is not a great solution but at least it lets me render without AA until a better solution has been found.

Not sure if it’s the case, but maybe they get occluded? In static mesh editor there is a bounds scale - bump it up a bit

search: Testing Visibility with an Actor’s Bounds

(prob not)

yes i tried its even worse without aa. and default clouds start to flicker too

i have set bounds scale to 1000 but nothing changed

If you are comfortable with it maybe you could zip a blank project with that tree in it?

this is blank project with low poly tree, i don’t think tree is a problem since all mesh is doing this flickering

It sounds like I have the same issue… couple days ago all meshes started to flicker in my project. New ones, old ones you name it.

While investigating in my case I was able to narrow it down to these flickering base shadows (this is a test made from a new project after complete win 11/UE reinstall, no lumen gi/reflections, no nanite, no AA; lightinng preview only).

This shadow nosie then makes everything flicker more or less when using “real world” rendering settings. It seems that due to this nanites keep constantly redraw (non nanite meshes flicker as well but not as much), lumen is flickery as well so everything flickers.

I have tried so many things I cant even remember all of them including win11 resintall, gpu and ram swap, nothing worked. On my secondary computer (that I swapped the parts from) all works fine. If you manage to find some sort of solution please let me know.

1 Like

i found out if u really want to hide that problem for me enabling dlss helped(to hide) not resolve(in game). when not moving that flickering disappears but when u start to move it is slightly but visible

additionally u can increase screen percentage to 200 the problem still persists but its better then nothing

(this is not a solution)

1 Like

i also tried complete reinstall of gpu drivers with ddu and installing older drivers from 2020 nothing changed seems like it is not gpu problem

That DLSS tip is great. Just tried it and you say its not a solution but as far as bendaids go its pretty good.

Quick q - do you know if you can adjust the dlss quality setting for editor view? I know these are possible in render queue but havent found anything for editor itself (other than on/off switch in project settings)

i don’t know u should check vids on it as far as i know their is a bunch of settings u can change

Ok i see what’s going on;) you have a leaf; it has top and bottom - with this mesh it doesn’t, only top.

Only leafs facing player with their tops are visiable. When you move, some of them flip from visiable to not and viceversa.

This mesh is just too simple when it comes to leafs. Rotate Z and you will know what i mean. Why would someone make a mesh like that? It is supposed to be viewed from top with zoom-out.

every leaf is a separate triangle - hence even though this mesh is so optimized it still ‘weights’ in triangles almost the same as this one - but thats how needle ‘realistic’ spruce probably demands it

i think u probably mean two faced? in the materials tab, if so i forgot to enable it yeah but here is video with it enabled. you still can see flickering

Sorry, i don’t know:/ since its more visiable on lowered screenpercentage i assumed its smth with tsr, but none of the tricks worked - i give up:P

(post deleted by author)