Why is my game too bright after packaging? (not a Post Process issue)

Unfortunately no sufficient info on that anywhere. I know it’s not my Post Process because I have auto exposure turned off and the brightness thing also happens on my intro video and game menus (on a different level than the game) that have black backgrounds. All blacks are washed out in any occasion.

UPDATE: If I push alt+enter to exit fullscreen mode, the game has normal blacks. In fullscreen, it’s washed out. I also found many people having the same problem but no clear solution other than what I already tried like changing Nvidia range from limited to full.
ANOTHER UPDATE: As it seems, windows run fullscreen mode in 60hz, making everything look washed out. So it doesn’t have anything to do with packaging either. I am looking into whether or not I can set the hz from Unreal or Nvidia settings. More news as it breaks.

did you try toggling V-Sync?

Turns out I needed to update Nvidia drivers. I don’t understand why my game had to be messed up because I didn’t update the card’s driver, but oh well.

Hello NtinosFerret,

here is a thread with nearly the same issue.
https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/rendering/1831376-fullscreen-too-bright-not-using-nvidia-settings-fixed

For me both solutions do not work. Also the problem if it is a driver issue is, you do not know when player update driver. The OP of the linked thread found another solution, but both do not work for me.

In general I have the same problem as you had: When game is run in “fullscreen” (in my case I think also related to “Full HD” 1920xx1080), then some “gamma increase” kicks in. Like I explained in the forums thread, it already starts in intro and game menu, same as your problem.

Perhaps did you found more information beside simply update your driver? Perhaps there was something beside this driver update which you changed?

I checked again my driver, windows says geforce driver is up to date, but checking date shows it’s not. Windows 10 auto update geforce driver seems to work fine on my surface book, but not for my 2nd notebook. I updated driver by hand shows, yes, really(!), the reason was a older NVIDIA driver!

So, when people come to you or some one else found this thread people talk about “washed out black” or everything is “to bright”, just let them check geforce driver. It seems some older versions do some “gamma kick up” in fullscreen on Full HD, perhaps it was a feature for better watching movies, I don’t know. 
After updating driver, I do not recognized the gamma kick in anymore. Not on packaged steam game and not in stand alone game.