Why does UDK look better than UE4?

I don’t know what causes it, I thought it was the tonemapper so I modified it to output linear colors and got closer to the target graphics but it still isn’t enough.

Also if I understand correctly UDK does lighting differently which is why the materials look wet, that’s not an issue for me if I can get the colors to look as good.

Does anyone have an idea of how I can get the same graphics from UDK in UE4?

You basically can’t, it used a completely different lighting model

Thanks for the reply, I found some tips for better lighting (all the way up to ArchViz quality if necessary), is there any way to disable the tonemapper without editing the engine files?

The post processing method still doesn’t get rid of the look that makes it easy to tell it’s unreal engine 4.

I’ve worked in UDK, UE4, and UE5; can you elaborate more on what specifically you mean by the ‘UDK look’?

A large part of it will be down to what aesthetic in particular you’re looking to achieve.

To @Arkiras’ point, the whole way shading is done is different. UDK uses a non-energy conserving phong for specular, whereas UE4 uses GGX calibrated to PBR standards. Diffuse lighting is lambert in both, but fundamentally, PBR workflows mean that light math is just done differently. There could absolutely be tonemapper differences that contribute to the look, but you’re also talking about completely different technical paradigms.

That said, this is also something that I’ve been wondering about for a while: UDK and UE4 do have different aesthetics, and I’ve often found something sterile about the way stock UE4 looks that wasn’t true in UDK. If you can put your finger on it, please LMK.

Can you post some examples? I’d be interested to see.

Not sure if its just nostalgia, but there is a “boringness” (?) to many modern game graphics compared to some older games.