Why does Static Mesh Component have no collision when set to "Movable"

Hello all,

I’m having an issue with collision on a static mesh component. This does not appear to be an issue with “Characters”. This is only happening with my custom Pawn. When I drag the static mesh into the scene without it being a part of the blue print the collision works fine.

Repro Steps

1. Create some BSP Geometry
  2. Convert the BSP to a Static Mesh
  3. Create a new Blueprint
  4. Add a Static Mesh Component
  5. Set the Static Mesh to the new geometry
  6. Set the Static Mesh Component to “Movable”
  7. Observe no collision

Hi Omskillet,

While BSP’s have collision set to them by default you will need to take a few more steps since you’ve converted those into Static Meshes.

By default, there is not collision set to static meshes that are created from BSPs or that are imported and you will need to generate the collision mesh for it within UE4 or export the newly created Static Mesh to a 3D software and create a custom collision mesh.

Here is the documentation that will help you setup collision for your newly created static mesh within UE4.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Thank you!

Tim

1 Like

One problem you may be having is that the newly created mesh only has ‘complex’ collision (usually used for things like weapon traces), but no ‘simple’ collision (used for things like character movement). If you want the player to collide with this new mesh, you will either need to add some simple collision shapes in the StaticMesh Editor, or set ‘Use Complex As Simple’ in the same editor, so the player collides with the complex collision (like it did when it was BSP).

1 Like

Hi Tim,
Thank you for the link but honestly to say it didn’t help. I am really lost and don’t know what to do. I converted a brush to a static mesh and tried to set a BlockAll collision type but it doesn’t change anything. Actor can walk through this object. I use brushes for level design during half year but this question is still mistery for me. If I leave it in a brush type it will really crash my graphic card when I have big level with so many brushes. For that reason I convert brushes to static meshes and than create auto convex collision in the object editor. Is it a only one way to create a colliding static object? Is there another one more smarter way? Can you help me? Please

Thank you!

Vlad

I have same issue , do you resolve it?