Why do the Cast Cloud Shadows turn Noisy when entering the Atmosphere?

Above Atmosphere: Non Flickering Wonderful shadows

Inside Atmosphere: Flickering Blurry Shadows

I turned my clouds off for the screenshots to demonstrated how the shadows mess up.

I tried changing the Cloud Shadow Map Resolution Scale Or Sample Count Scale. That only make the clouds inside the atmosphere look worse or have barley an effect. Changing the Extent doesn’t have any effect apart from changing their radius. I also played around with the volumetric clouds commands but I did not find anything that changes the noise.

Do you know how I can keep the clouds shadows static and pristine like the ones above the atmosphere?

Figured it out. This happens, because r.SkyAtmosphere.FastSkyLUT is turned on. So either turn it off but make the atmosphere more expensive or fiddle with the FastSkyLUT settings until it looks passable.

Hello GehtSieGarNixAn how would I go about finding that setting to turn it off? I dont see it anywhere in the details panel or project settings.

this is a console command that should be entered at the command line (in UE5 it is at the bottom of the screen) or it can be executed in blueprints.

1 Like