Why do my shadows look weird?

So I created this brush, built the light in production quality and it looks like this.

://i.imgur/GhloVG8.png

What’s up with it? I even tried to convert it in to a mesh.

P.S i’m using the starter map, even in a fresh one I get the same result.

You have to increase the lightmap resolution of the ground and the mesh (in case of a bsp you have to decrease the resolution)

I used a landscape for the floor I tried setting static lighting resolution to 3, didn’t work.

I also tried setting the lightmap resolutions of the brushes to 16.

the selected one and the close to the camera have 16, the rest have the default 32.

://i.imgur/ELXxDAN.png

Also add a lightmass importance volume + rebuild the light (and check if you get any errors)

I assume you simply place it on the level and make it cover the important part of the level, still no result.

://i.imgur/st78pck.jpg

Hmm, could you probably upload the map with one of those brushes, because I tried it out (same shape) and in my case it works as it should

If lightmapping isn’t giving you crisp enough shadows, you can choose to use Cascaded Shadow Mapping. It replaces lightmap shadows with dynamic shadows when you get close enough, generally giving nice sharp shadows. Just look for the Cascaded Shadow Maps category on your directional light properties and set the ‘Dynamic Shadow Distance Stationary Light’ to whichever distance you’d like to transition to dynamic shadows.

Here it is.

://eirexe.3space.info/FTP/Proto.umap

I use built-in textures, so it should work in any project

That works, but I wonder how it impacts performance, as i’m doing a game meant to be used for competition and speedrunning, so I want to keep it less resource-hungry as possible

If you’re still using lightmapping for far distances and not making the dynamic shadow distance any further than it needs to be, it should be fine.

Dynamic lighting, which is what is being used in your scene now with a Stationary light, is very efficient when not casting a lot of shadows, As your scene grows and the more meshes that are casting shadows you will likely see a performance hit. Tweaking the stationary light shadow distance will help. If you have meshes in your scene that are not needing to cast shadows or not benefiting from casting shadows you can turn that off in their details panel to help performance as well. (As a side note, for something to not cast shadows does not mean they can’t receive shadows)

For the previous questions though, for your brush something around 64, 96, 128 would work better for crisper shadows. For the landscape depending on it’s size you may want to lower that to 2 or 1 to generated a better lightmap resolution.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask! :slight_smile: