Why do grooms "flap" when you render in Movie Render Queue when temporal sampling is enabled?

When you render a MetaHuman with the Movie Render Queue, and you change Temporal Sampling to anything except 1, hair grooms “flap” constantly. It’s like they have jitter - and aren’t being correctly rendered.

Is there a way around this? I’ve tried all the options I could think of in the MRQ.

For anyone googling and stumbling on this, I don’t have a solution to this problem. However, I’ve heard that it’s different for each person, somewhat depending on GPU possibly. Frustrating.

Some people suggest changing temporal sampling and spatial sampling both to the same number. Start with 2, and if that works, go for 4, and so on. I really wish they would fix this, or at the very least have an official “help” or bug report on it.

But yeah, MetaHuman grooms/hair groom jitters with Temporal Sampling enabled is a problem, and isn’t fixed in “5.2”.

1 Like

that’s sad bro, the same problem, I hope they will fix it

I imagine they haven’t given the option of disabling the temporal jittering on the hair shader huh?

Check this setting.

Disabling Local Simulation in the groom component (simulation settings) fixed the problem for me.
Now I can use any Temporal Sampling value and the hair behaves consistently.

But keep in mind that I’ve tried every possible way to fix this before, so maybe it works in conjunction with other settings I’ve changed. I’ve tried a bunch of things in the last 2 days. So, unfortunately, I can’t say what else could have influenced the result.

3 Likes

blessed be the fruit of thy womb