Why can't we paint foliage on hism's?

Just to explain a bit, I know what I try to do is not UE4 logic friendly, still I was hoping to get it working. I wanted to create a map made of hism’s instead of the default terrain. It works fine but the problem is I can’t paint foliage on hism’s. I started wondering why, I can paint on non instanced meshes, I can paint on other foliage even [tried to spawn the meshes as foliage in blueprint but wasn’t possible anymore from 4.22 and up, and my understanding of C++ lacks to go and add foliage in code myself]

But I just wondered why it isn’t possible in the first place, considering painting on other foliage is, which is also a hism basically. I can trick the procedural foliage tool to spawn my terrain [but not in a hex pattern like I do now ] in a square but still need the default terrain under it to do so [prefer to avoid that].

Should I just trust the black magic of the newer versions with auto batching and just spawn tons of static meshes without handling the instancing myself? Been kinda going in circles with this and just can’t find a way to get it working.

You can paint foliage on HISM.
Go to the settings of your HISM and change the object type to ‘world static’ as shown in the image below:

1 Like