Why attached actors not Revolve around parent origin?

I have an Actor (LocalEnvironmentContainer) with a SceneComponent (EnvironmentContainer), to which I’ve attached other actors. I’m trying to rotate the parent Actor, expecting the attached actors to rotate around it, but instead, the rotation is applied locally to the SceneComponent, causing the attached actors to rotate around the SceneComponent’s origin instead. How can I make the attached actors rotate around the parent Actor’s origin?

I found this post, in which the very issue he tries to address, is the exact opposite - I need to rotate all child actors about the parents origin, i.e. revolve the children about the center! Specifically, I need the ‘NOT THIS’ result:

Thanks for any advice. The only next step I can possibly take is to revolve all my children manually!

Hey @devlyn811

could you please share a picture of your blueprint?

Like this:

What you describe can happen if you set Location on the right to Absolute/World.

hey @L1z4rD89 - thanks for your reply!

So to clarify, I made an image of what I need and not, since there is a difference from the reference post. Essentially, his issue is the result I need, however, his requirement was different. I can of course calculate this manually, but since it is likely to be much more performant to simply attach and rotate the parent, I’d prefer that.

Nevertheless, here is my blueprint and my requirements. Please let me know if you need further info, as I did try setting the world/relative setting in the components:

UE52_Planets.zip (50.8 KB)

Thanks so much for the sample project!

I will try to apply to my project and will let you know once I have a result!

OK, I got it working. So it was due to the fact that I was SetWorldLocation() on every frame based on the ship location. This was problematical as every frame it set the world location to the ‘ship location’.

I needed to SetRelativeLocation() of the LC during the frame. This way, it would not ‘reset’ to an absolute location. This caused it now to work correctly.

Many thanks @L1z4rD89 as your project allowed me to see that in my project, I could see the the Location changing every frame for my Local environment, while yours did not. This gave me clarity to find the issue

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.