How to rotate children on their own pivot point when I rotate parent?

As the title says.

I have a group of character_blueprints that are parented to an empty actor.
Is there a way when I rotate the parent to make the children rotate on their pivot point instead of the parent’s pivot point?

By the way, I tried to post this question everywhere else, but I wasn’t allowed.
That’s why it is poster here on “international” category

First, if those are “child actors,” then maybe you don’t want them to actually be attached, but instead just have some property that references their “formation master” and then have them each orient themselves individually.

Second, for child components, you can switch their translation offset to be “global” instead of “relative” at which point you should be able to affect them separately.

Thanks for the reply

I have no idea how to do this. So if you could provide some explanation or point me somewhere, that is explained, like a tutorial, e.g., I’ll be glad.

I’m aware of the world- instead of local, rotation, but this doesn’t help with what I want.
I’d like to have all the child components inherit the parent’s rotation but rotate around their pivot point and not around the parent’s pivot point.

So that when I turn the parent, all the child components rotate on themselves.

EDIT: Since I want the child components also to inherit the parent’s movement, I can’t just use the world location for the parent because then the child components are going to pivot on themselves but they wont follow the parent component.

Having the children just have a link to their “master” is just a property. You create a variable, make it of the right type, and set it to the value of the master you want them to reference. Then you need to do something in Tick for each of the child instances to make them take the orientation they want. If your “formation” is actually a bunch of soldiers or whatever, then that would be the appropriate way to go. If your “formation” is more of a single “thing” then that’s probably not right.

The way to set up being able to rotate each separate component on its own, is to not rotate the root of the parent, but instead put in a separate Scene node that you then link the Center to.

When you rotate, you then rotate the Center, separate from the Children, rather than rotating the whole Actor. In essence, the Actor stays in identity rotation.

Thanks again for the reply, but I don’t think that I’ll be able to recreate what you are describing here since I’m not that familiar with the engine.

Neither have I seen a tutorial that describes what you are saying here, even though I tried.

For eg, what’s a “scene node”, or what’s the “proper variable”, I wouldn’t know.

I’d probably need a step-by-step description to make sense of it all.

EDIT: By the way, they are soldiers indeed, and I just parent them all on an empty actor.

What you are describing sounds like a better solution, but I barely make sense of the instructions, unfortunately.

I would appreciate it if anyone could come up with a more descriptive or step-by-step explanation.

Thanks.

Left / Right arrow rotate around axis (local)
Up / Down arrow rotate main actor

RotateChildren.zip (63.9 KB)

Well, that is probably going to prove very helpful.

Thank you very much!

Now I’ll need to figure out how to keyframe the movement in the sequencer instead of replicating it via key presses.

You can probably promote the rotation to variables and expose them that way.

Thank you very much.

I’ll try to do that.