Why are my textures washed out in PIE and tinted blue if I delete default directional light?

I have disabled all post-processing through the engine editor show->post-processing window. This helped to some degree, however, when in PIE my textures are still incredibly washed out as you can see in the screenshot.

Screeshot

If I delete the default directional light in an attempt to fix this behaviour, my scene gets tinted blue instead of going dark/black like you would expect with no light. Why is this happening? This is a default scene aside from some meshes and a landscape. Lighting/sky has not been touched.

How can I prevent this washing out? How do I change this blue tinting?

Thanks for the help. I was unable to find the answer on my own.

Hi!

I don’t know your material settings for the landscape… but maybe the directional light + the skylight is to bright…
The blue tint is coming form the skylight I guess… it also lights your scene with an ambient light! You can set your own cube map (image) as skylight so you can change this to whatever you want!

Thanks. I realized after that my question was really not as simple as it seemed. I have found a by changing my directional light intensity, my skylight intensity and my tone-map settings (tone map especially) I was able to reduce the brightness. I still feel some areas are “too bright” but I have also read that brightness comes from the skylight and tonemap and to remove them would prevent physically based materials from lighting correctly. SO I guess its a balancing act. Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

I’m sure you will find the perfect balance! :slight_smile: If you have just the skylight and the directional light and most of the parts look good just some part not then I’d say you should tweak a bit your material… roughness… normal, ambient occlusion… maybe you have fog in your scene?

Hi, try to disable the AFFECT REFLECTION option of your Skylight Actor. In my case I managed to get rid of that “too blue” issue, Cheers!

Thanks, the correct solution I have found 18 months later, is that you need to have reflection spheres in your environment if you want dynamic GI and dynamic skylight to work appropriately. Disabling the reflections would also work but at the cost of photorealism.