Why am I getting Error 2738 when trying to install Unreal Engine 4?

Sorry to hear that. I do see that your logs mention same VBScript problem. I thought that fix would have worked for sure. I’m on hunt for an alternate solution. Hopefully I’ll be able to get back to you shortly.

file name:
UnrealEngineInstaller-1.0.0-2028188

2458-cmd_screen.jpg

Microsoft also provides a utility that may address issue. You could try running utility here: windows.microsoft.com

second command you have in screenshot is not correct. It is missing a space between msi name and the /L*V parameters. first command you have shown in your screenshot looks perfect. It should have generated a file on your C drive: C:\UnrealEngineInstallerLog.txt

Was that file not generated?

No problem! Here to help. I’m still looking for alternative solutions but here is a quick idea: Did you try to restart your computer after running Microsoft Utility?

Ahh yes. That is an unrelated issue that will be fixed in near future. That issue deals with picking root C:\ drive as your desired install folder. In your case, I suspect you are picking default install folder which is something like c:\Program Files\Unreal Engine.

problem you are thinking of should not prevent you from launching installer from root of a drive though.

I tried getting log to work from running command from desktop to see if it would work. Here is an image of what I did and log it created:
alt text

I did. It made no difference unfortunately.

I think you might still be missing a space before the \L*V. This is what command should look like:

msiexec /i C:\Users\\Desktop\UnrealEngineInstaller-1.0.0-2028188 /L*V C:\Users\\Desktop\UnrealEngineInstallerLog.txt

Notice I added a space between UnrealEngineInstaller-1.0.0-2028188 /L*V

This long thread seems to imply that some users still had problems after running Microsoft utility.

I thought I would mention it since there are some followup suggestions in that thread that may work for you while I continue to hunt for a solution.

Tried with spacing and got this message:

2474-cmd_img_with_spacing.jpg

Sorry for all trouble. So that error message implies that path to installer is incorrect. Can you double check that this is correct path to installer?

C:\Users\Desktop\UnrealEngineInstaller-1.0.0-2028188

You could try using full path with extension

C:\Users\Desktop\UnrealEngineInstaller-1.0.0-2028188.msi

That thread actually helped. I was able to run installer after uninstalling Macafee.

I tried using full extension. Also you can see that file is on desktop, so path to file should be correct. See attached:

Sorry, I miss typedlink text file name. Here is log it created:

Great! I would not have guessed that might be problem. Good job in tracking that down! Sorry for all trouble.

I found problem. It had to do with registry. Apparently when I got my pc, it had an old anti-virus software already installed. I do remember uninstalling it, but register keys had kept their values. I found this post that showed how to find and modify key to fix it.
I didn’t work for me however using wow64 as it states in his post. I needed to put system32
(see image)
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/526016/error-2738-fix-blame-your-old-antivirus-for-this-/

Good find! Sorry for all trouble. I think you are going to see that all cool stuff in UE4 was worth wait thought!

Absolutely. I have been using Unreal past couple of years and it’s been my engine of choice. As an environment 3d artist, I am looking forward to how much visually better everything will look compared to previous Unreal engine in terms of lighting, materials and creating more realistic environments.

I am getting same problem with error 2738. I have already uninstalled Macaffe and still hasn’t worked. I also have tried all instructions on this thread too.

Here is log link text
I hope I can get this resolved quickly