White outlines on vegetation assets

Hi, sorry in advance if this is a noob question.

I have imported some beech tree assets from the epic games library. When imported into my scene (which has only one HDRI backdrop and one other asset that does not display this problem) they display white outlines that appear in renders as well.

1.PNG

The only workaround I found is to change the blend mode to translucent, which is obviously not ideal because it affects the alpha mask in some of the leaves and changes the material color / interaction with light. So it seems like it is a texture issue.

I’ve seen similar posts but none of their solutions worked for me.

what does the texture look like? this usually only happens when the alpha clip value is too low. in this case i guess it’s a white filler. you could increase the clip value in the material settings and see if it changes anything. note: it will shrink the branches and leaves a lil bit, but that’s to be expected.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I have tried tweaking the clip value as suggested, and indeed the leaves shrank a little, which I wouldn’t mind, but the outline unfortunately is still there.

okay. it looks normal in the model viewer. i reckon it’s the setup in your scene then. i’d have to reproduce that.

things i can think of is a postprocessing material/shader not working correctly which you should disable in the post processing volume.

or the hdri backdrop not working correctly.

you also might wanna check the skylight settings. and put this hdri cubemap into the specified cube map slot. iirc there were bugs in earlier engine versions that made hdri backdrop incompatible with skylighting. the resolve was to use just the skylight.

1 Like