Which iPhone is best for facial motion capture ?? march 2022

Hi there <3

I assume Livelink and facial motion capture became avaible to us since iPhoneX.
Do You know if Apple upgraded their dot projector or IR sensor or whatever True Depth is responsible for facial motion capture since model X ??
12+ got LIDAR upgrade, but im not sure if this supports capture quality in live link or other mocap systems.

Extra MINI question would be, is there any difference between MAX PRO verions and MINI versions - (facial capture wise) ?? I assume mini would behave better on helmet boom stick due to smaller weight.

Many thanks for Your interest and answers <3
Jim

1 Like

Iphone X, started it, as you noted.

I saw something claiming that Iphone13 was getting mixed results, and that the next Iphone might not even have the face recog system thatā€™s being used by the Mocap (the dot projector mixed with true depth) because they were going to ā€œdo it a different way,ā€ but I take that info with a grain of saltā€¦ sounded like folks guessing.

If I had to buy now, and wanted to be positive, Iā€™d be thinking Iphone 11, because I used one to put face mocap into Blender, using an ASCII FBX file that had to be converted to Binary through a conversion program. Important part was that it did the job.

I donā€™t have any experience with the Livelink system, or Unreal mocap in general, so I canā€™t help you there.

Thank You Michael for Your reply.
I think Iā€™m gonna wait a little bit longer, maybe some more tips and opinions will show up. Otherwise, probably Iā€™m gonna use Your advice and go with the 11. Thatā€™s a lot of dineros saved up for vive trackers and stuff :wink: .
I hope Dunder Mifflin is doing great :wink: <3 :stuck_out_tongue: cheers
Jim

Hi, I am also interested in this issue. Furthermore, I have read the Iphone X heats a lot after just 5 mins of usage with Live Link. Did someone tried next Iphone and share results? Thanks!

Depends:

The higher the mega pixel the better the detail it can catch.
No reason to go above an iphone 11.

Between a new XS and a used 11, get a used 11. Itā€™s around $330 at most.

11mp vs 9mp

With a full beard, the 11 is able to not flicker as much as the XS.

Obviously itā€™s all still rather messy.

Re helmet cam / boomstick.
It is more important than the phone itself - but that doesnā€™t mean you should spend the money they sell them for, which is beyond ludicrous.

Make your own / buy a 3d printer and print it at 1/4 the cost.
The only important part is that you conter-balance the weight of the phone for actor comfort. If you do that, you can even add dedicated light to help the iphone not screw up.

Hi, so as per your comment, the quality only depends on the resolution, not in the camera improvement, right. There is no important change regarding hardware between X and upcoming iphone 14?

Many thanks for you help!

No change that I have red of past iPhone 11ā€¦

1 Like

Ok, thanks a lot!

The iPhone 14ā€™s front camera has twice the resolution of the front cameras on iPhone models X through 13. Hereā€™s a comparison with iPhone X.

Weā€™ve had a number of of questions from potential users of our FaceCam iPhone HMC about using iPhone 14 with our helmet. The iPhone 14 base model weighs about 27% more than the iPhone 12 mini. We offer an optional counterweight that can improve the comfort and balance of 14, when used with our helmet, but there are certainly advantages to using one of the minis.

Iā€™m curious to know if anyone here has done tests with Live Link Face, using iPhone 14.

1.250$ for a 3d printed plastic ( not even a full helmet ) with a couple of knobs and a rod?
200$ for a counterweight?
Are you serious?

1 Like

@Enter_Reality, thank you for your comments; however, I feel itā€™s important to clarify something you said.

There is nothing 3D-printed about the FaceCam iPhone HMC. The helmet is made by hand from parts that have been machined from several advanced alloys. As a result, our helmet is extremely durable, while being very light in weight: about the same as a single high-end running shoe. Our foam system offers extreme comfort and stability. It can be hand-washed, so the helmet can be worn by different users while remaining hygienic.

The helmet is handmade via an extensive production process. Academy Award winner Standard Deviation based the design on their high-end face trackers, used in some of the biggest blockbuster movies and AAA games.

Our helmet is dependable: it was used for all the real-time live production facial mocap for Fox TVā€™s recent singing show Alter Ego. Thereā€™s no way a 3D-printed helmet would ever stand up to that task. Ours is a proven, production-reliable design that functions reliably even while the talent is performing the most rigorous motions, such as aerials and cartwheels. Check out the videos that show our FaceCam iPhone HMC facial motion capture helmet in action.

So many of our users keep telling us their FaceCam is one of their favorite tools. It certainly rounds out full-body motion capture systems comprised of XSens MVN suits and Manus gloves. Check out the following clip, (link is in the comments), created in Unreal: Blu faces off :zap: with a Metahuman. Ep2

Check out how Wave and Riot Games Music used our helmet to make Pentakill III: Lost Chapter - An Interactive Album Experience (middle of the page). They used about seven of our FaceCams simultaneously, during an elaborate production with a full-on optical capture system comprised of about 80 cameras. They needed multi-actor, unencumbered reliability, and thatā€™s what our FaceCam delivered.

Of course, a lot of people have invested their own time to come up with workable DIY helmets. Thatā€™s not rocket science. If it does the jobā€¦ awesome! Coming up with a production-worthy, durable, and reliable, off-the-shelf design that sells for a fraction of the price of other helmets on the marketā€¦ thatā€™s sort of magic.

Sorry, the information I reported about the resolution of iPhone 14 was inaccurate. Upon checking other articles, it seems 14 has the same front camera resolution as the other TrueDepth-enabled iPhones, (version X and higher).

Potential facial mocap advantages of iPhone 14 include: the A16 Bionic chip. Probably provides faster processing and improved battery usage and longer battery charge life from a charge, as well as less overheating during longer Live Link Face recordings. Apple.com chat technician indicated: iPhone 14 has battery life of upto 20 hours compared to 17 for iPhone 13 mini and 15 for the iPhone 12 mini

Other features that might be advantageous:

An extra GPU core (5 total, rather than 4). Maybe that helps with drawing Live Link Faceā€™s wireframes.

Autofocus: 30cm to 150cm distance.

Larger maximum fstop might offer some improvement.

Hereā€™s a comparison ā€˜straight from the appleā€™s mouthā€™ between 3 different iPhone models. iPhone 14 Pro vs iPhone 13 mini vs iPhone 12 mini - Apple. You can use that page to compare other iPhone models.

In terms of iPhone 14ā€™s advancements for face mocap with unreal, the new features seem evolutionary, rather than revolutionaryā€¦ but if you are ready to upgrade, you might gain something from the new features. If youā€™re on the fence, it might be worth heading to the Apple store to do a comparison.

Time for an update, more accurate information.

For use with with Metahuman Animator, iPhone 11 or 12 have superior Truedepth sensors, compared to 13 and 14. The resolution of the Truedepth sensors on iPhone 11 and 12 has a resolution of 12 megapixels, whereas iPhone Xā€™s Truedepth camera has a resolution of 7 megapixels.

How do you know that the truedepth sensor from the 11 or 12 is superior to the 13/14?

Ah here I found the explanation: Truedepth Camera on iPhone13 produā€¦ | Apple Developer Forums
So the iPhone 12 is actual the best you can get for facial motion capture.

1 Like

Has anyone weighed in with a quality comparison of the iPhone 15 yet?

People are waiting for it to stop catching on fireā€¦

Someone mentioned in the thread linked above that iPhone 15 produces even worse results than its predecessors :confused: So it really does seem that iPhone 12 is the best we got as of now! https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/694147

Shame that Epic Games isnā€™t more open about this because itā€™s taken me most of the day to find good information online regarding this. Almost bought an iPhone 14 thinking that of course it should be better than a 12 or 13, but nope, 12 is where its at! Hope others arenā€™t making the same mistake!

As far as rigs for holding the phone in place:
Unlike everything else that Rokoko pushes far as their products goā€¦ the new head rig isā€¦ well, 80% good.

Thatā€™s probably 79% better than self 3D printed rigs. and itā€™s something like $1k better than the trash they listed above.
like @Enter_Reality mentionedā€¦

After adding some extra latching to the phone Iā€™m able to have actors do flips and pretty much everything the custom printed stuff was doing, except they are actually comfortable (their feedback, not mine, the one I printed was made for me specifically, so yea Iā€™m comfortable either way :stuck_out_tongue: ).

Still eons away from real head-rigs, but letā€™s all remember that you are simply attempting to hold an iPhone in place - thatā€™s the real problemā€¦
Real head-rigs with real camera options will always allow much more mobility/stability/reliability over something made to hold an iPhoneā€¦