Where is the tessellation options in materials in UE5?

Where is the tessellation options in materials in UE5?

Tessellation was removed in UE5. Google it, it’s been talked about dozens of times.

1 Like

Thats really really bad.
Also, I am just learning about this.
Also, what is the proposed replacement solution for the hundreds of situations that material based tessellation handled?

2 Likes

The search button is your friend: Search | Epic Developer Community (epicgames.com)

As @ZacD said, there are dozens of posts talking about this, it takes less time to search than creating a new thread :rofl:

The solution, in short terms, is to use RVTs for landscape materials and use high poly mesh with Nanite for other materials, but feel free to dig deeper in the several threads I linked

1 Like

I’ll dig in over there but honestly you could stand to not be a snarky child when it comes to a help forum.

Also, the more people that make a stink about a thing then the more likely they are to build it back in.

There is literally no reason they can’t add it back in. It just wont work with nanite objects and that is fine.

1 Like

The frustrating part is just that nanite doesn’t fill the same use-cases as tessellation. Give us nanite functionality for landscapes, and I’ll be happy

JK it also doesn’t work with WPO or skeletal meshes or translucency

I don’t mind deprecating older tech. Tessellation wasn’t an optimal solution, it had its own issues

But feature parity should ALWAYS be the absolute minimum expectation when replacing a tech, and that was a massive oversight on their part with the removal of tessellation. If the new feature can’t do what the old one did then we are going backwards. It can mean only two things: (1) either they didn’t know the use cases of their own tech and thought tessellation could be fully replaced by nanite (wrong), or (2) they didn’t care about the implications of its removal

These are the only two possibilities I see here, and either case is a depressing outlook for how Epic’s dev team viewed the problem.

2 Likes

Sorry for the bad English. I am looking forward to future versions of the game engine. The removal of Tessellation broke my project in UE5. I think RVT can solve my problem, but it is a complex solution and does not work in all cases.

Thanks for asking that question about tessellation during the AMA EnjuY! Linking that post here for anyone coming across this later: AMA Q about Tessellation

2 Likes

They provided a great response so I am optimistic about the future of Nanite :+1: looking forward to proprietary Nanite tessellation if it comes one day…who knows, maybe we can hope for it in 5.1 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Had no idea there was even an AMA… hope you guys will have another one…