Where can i get the vred datasmith plugin

hello,

which one on the following plugin do i use for Vred? I cant find a Vred option any were for datasmith.

Thanks Andy

1 Like

Hi Andy. These documents should help:

Exporting Datasmith Content from VRED

Using Datasmith with Deltagen and VRED

I have had a similar issue, there is no Datasmith plugin listed for VRED.

The plugin is composed of python scripts that are in your UE installation, e.g.
UE_5.2\Engine\Plugins\Enterprise\DatasmithFBXImporter\Resources\VREDPlugin\DatasmithExporter
You need to copy that “DatamisthExporter” folder into your VRED installation folder, e.g.
C:\Users\XXXXXX\Documents\Autodesk\VRED-1X.0\ScriptPlugins\

Many thanks for you reply UE_FlavienP.

I am using the latest full version of VRED (2024). The path that you have described is not available in my system. There is no ‘ScriptPlugins’ folder in the Documents folder in 2024 version.

I have managed to get a response from the VRED Terminal by placing it into the scripts folder (address below.) But there is no accessibility through the the VRED menus.

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\VREDPro-16.0\lib\plugins\WIN64\Scripts

Can you please offer further advice on this matter.

I have talked to the Alias and VRED Autodesk guys in the UK (I do this regularly because I work in Automotive and Transport Design education) and they think the UE5 plugIn should work but some how it seems to not work?

If I am doing something wrong then I am more than happy to be corrected. Your help is very much appreciated.

Also, I have just tried to create a new path (created additional folders) that matches what is documented on the UE5 documentation pages:

C:\Users\hutch\Documents\Autodesk\VRED-16.0\ScriptPlugins\DatasmithExporter

However they same error come up. Please see the terminal screen shot attached.

Autodesk updated the python libraries, scripts should be updated to use PySide6 and shiboken6
https://help.autodesk.com/view/VREDPRODUCTS/2024/ENU/?guid=VRED_Python_Documentation_Python_Documentation_html

I did a quick update here but do not have VRED 2024 to test. Can you let me know how it goes?
DatasmithExporter.zip (33.6 KB)

1 Like

cf message up ^^^^^

@shaunieH did the update I provided fixed the exporter plugin?

Hello @UE_FlavienP
I have also the same issue with the datasmith FBX Importer from Vred to UnrealEngine.
I used previously Vred 2023.1 Datasmith it worked pretty well, all my Vred files can be easily converted.

The problem is with the Vred 2023.4 and Vred 2024 versions. I cannot see Export to Datasmith in my Vred Export scene data.
Even I used your DatasmithExporter.Zip file from your previous messages… That too didn’t work.

Is there any alternative method?

Please help me in this regard.
Thanks in advance.

Uploading my Vred Terminal image.

You can try that for the time being, but I have issues with material transfer.
Let me know how it works for you.

BTW, UE will probably not recognize VRED 2024 FBX as FBX coming from VRED. We have a fix for that but in 5.4. Do you build UE from source?
DatasmithExporter2024.zip (33.7 KB)

Hello there, I’ve been using VRED 2024, and either I copied the file that you attached to the folder ‘E:\Program Files\Autodesk\VREDPro-16.0\lib\plugins\WIN64\Scripts’, or ‘E:\Program Files\Autodesk\VREDPro-16.0\lib\plugins\WIN64\VREDPlugin’, it doesn’t work, looking forward updating.

It should work for C:\Program Files\Autodesk\VREDPro-16.0\lib\plugins\WIN64\Scripts, with your version of VRED.

It can be that VRED does not find the scripts or that the scripts are found but fail.
What you should do is, once VRED started, you can open the terminal (view>terminal).

1. check the lines that shows you where VRED is looking for scripts plugins. See if your folder is listed there and if VRED is trying to load the DatasmithExporter

2. Check if there is warnings or errors.

On my machine, I put the DatasmithExporter folder in
C:\Users\xxxx.xxxx\Documents\Autodesk\VRED-16.1\ScriptPlugins\DatasmithExporter

I think I loaded the plugin already, but I can’t find it neither in ‘Exported Scene Data’
nor “Scripts”, what can I do now?

I followed the step that you posted, but I failed, could you help me with what’s wrong with it?

And I put the plugin in E:\Program Files\Autodesk\VREDPro-16.0\lib\plugins\WIN64\Scripts
The command line I’ve tried is Looking for script plugins in ‘E:\Program Files\Autodesk\VREDPro-16.0\lib\plugins\WIN64\Scripts’ and Looking for script plugins in ‘E:\Program Files\Autodesk\VREDPro-16.0\lib\plugins\WIN64\Scripts\DatasmithExporter’.
Both of them didn’t work, thanks!

The one in ‘E:\Program Files\Autodesk\VREDPro-16.0\lib\plugins\WIN64\Scripts\DatasmithExporter’ mentions issue with not finding PySide2. That means the plugin in that folder is the old one, either you did not replace or only replaced partially the files in that folder.

You said you have the plugin in 2 folders that is not good to, only in one place is better.

Lets try to have only one version of the exporter on your pc.

1. Go to C:/Users/Administrator/Documents/Autodesk/VRED-16.0/ScriptPlugins/ folder and remove the DatasmithExporter.
  2. Go to E:/Program Files/Autodesk/VREDPro-16.0/lib/plugins/WIN64/Scripts/ folder and remove the DatasmithExporter.
  3. Lets check your pc is “clean”, load VRED and check you do not have messages about DatasmithExporter in the terminal. You should have no datasmith related lines in the log.
  4. Copy the “new” scripts files in a “DatasmithExport” folder in C:/Users/Administrator/Documents/Autodesk/VRED-16.0/ScriptPlugins/
  5. Load VRED again and check the messages in terminal and if Datasmith pops out in UI.

Thanks for your reply, but it still hasn’t been solved.
Either I put it into C:/Users/Administrator/Documents/Autodesk/VRED-16.0/ScriptPlugins/ folder, or E:/Program Files/Autodesk/VREDPro-16.0/lib/plugins/WIN64/Scripts/ folder, the terminal showed this:

You can comment the line 23 in the exporter.py file.
else please try with this version
DatasmithExporterv20240130.zip (33.7 KB)

1 Like

Wow, thanks, you did it, amazing, it worked

So what you did is that commented the line 23 in exporter.py?