When using VR Template, teleporting makes camera change height

Hi!

So i recently started using Unreal Engine 5 at work in order to build VR experiences to our customers. As a starting point, I’ve been utilising the VRPawn from the VR Template, along with the teleport function and axis mapping.

However I’ve stumbled upon a problem that I can’t seem to figure out to fix in a good way.
The issue is that when using an Oculus Touch controller to teleport from the starting position, the Camera falls to the ground, and stays there until the level is restarted.

So far I’ve worked out a solution(ish), which is just moving every model as well as camera and volumes upwards, until the camera sits where I want it after teleporting.

However this just seems like a stupid way of doing it, that probably shouldn’t work but somehow does. I’m sure there’s a much smarter, likely simpler way of fixing my issue and was hoping someone here could help me?

Issue and fix works and happens in both selfmade projects, as well as the standard VR Template.

I’ve imported all the settings in project settings over from the VR Template, set up NavVolume, and imported VRPawn and placed into my scene and set its height to 179 (also tried at 0)

Hi Aletoria,

Bizarre problem. Is the floor level in your Oculus Guardian system set? (Also just for thoroughness: are you using Rift of Quest?)

Everything should work ‘out of the box’ but I’d also see what happens when you play with the ‘Set Tracking Origin’ node. (Your problem sounds like the default ‘Floor Level’ is getting set to ‘Eye Level’ on teleport)

Let us know!

2 Likes

Hi Astrotronic,

Your comment on floor level in Oculus Guardian was spot on. It turned out to be a bad setup of Oculus Guardian, with me not having touched the floor with the controller.

Thank you for the help!

(Using Oculus Quest)

1 Like