When painting foliage, changing the radius for each mesh does nothing

I’m trying to put trees into my map via foliage tool, The problem is it keeps dropping multiple trees inside one another. Based on interweb research they say I should change each foliage meshes radius, but that changes absolutely nothing.

Is there any other way for me to avoid trees growing within each other? Or is there something special about the radius option that I’m missing.

The picture below is where I am changing the radius option, and a couple trees that are way too close (the trees are hard to see, just take my word for it)

You have to paint with one mesh at a time.

It might be that under Painting you have Single Instance Mode to “All Selected” and it needs to be " Cycle Through Selected".

edit, I think it’s density you’re actually looking for, see next post

“All selected” would place all the meshes at once.

2 Likes

Yeah, definitely look at your density. Keep in mind it’s related to the density on your foliage actor, as well as your brush size.

Here is an example of various densities in combination with the ‘all selected’ vs ‘cycle through selected’

1 Like

I was able to get by just from adjusting the density, but it seems that the radius only affects individual foliage actors.

All instances of Tree1 will be spaced out 500 units from one another and all instances of Tree2 will be spaced out 500 units, but tree1s can still be inside of Tree2s. Doesn’t make any sense to me but whatever, lowering the density worked good enough.

Thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.