when looking at 180 my fps drops

did you customized your character?

this is the most weird problem i have ever had, when i look at a certain direction the fps drops from 70 to 20, i don’t even know what to say, and it doesn’t matter where iam in the map, even if i go far away from my spot and look into that direction my fps will drop, the direction is (180) and thats when i look behind me so its not a single place that i look at, and if there’s any kind of an object there the fps will drop, but if there’s nothing the fps wont drop, so it doesn’t matter where iam, if there’s an object in that direction my fps will drop.
this problem is so ilogical that it has to be an engine problem,
if anyone has an idea it would be appreciated.

I tried very multi character BluePrints and nothing changed, so ism sure it has nothing to do with the character

Try using the console command stat unit. When looking in the bad direction, what do each of these numbers say?

Before Looking; Frame;19ms, Game;11ms, Draw: 0.20ms Gpu;19ms
After Looking; Frame;35ms, Game;11ms, Draw; 0.20ms Gpu;35ms

Okay, so it is your GPU that is going up. Try using the stat GPU console command now.

What things are listed at the top when looking in the bad direction?

its the Shadow Depth, it goes up to 20

Okay, so it is most likely your dynamic shadows then. Do you by any chance have a lot of movable lights with shadows turned on in your game?

Or perhaps a lot of high poly objects casting shadows from one large movable light?

yes i have a directional light and i have a day/night cycle system for the directional light so every object is casting dynamic shadows.

Are you by any chance not using a lot of LODs on your objects?

Dynamic shadows cost more the higher the polycount of the object that is casting it. If you are looking out into a vast distance of high poly objects all casting shadows, that could be causing the issue.

iam using 4 LODs on my objects

if i turn off cast dynamic shadows on directional lights the problem goes away but that’s not a way to fix it.

Hmmm…

Well, you can try adjusting cascaded shadows or cascaded shadow maps in your directional light. That might have some effect.

Also, you could try turning on distance field shadows. That requires going into the project settings and turning them on. I don’t have a lot of experience with distance fields, but I know they can be useful to increase performance of large environments sometimes.

If neither of those work, then you might have to select some of your objects and just have some of them not cast shadows. Or, alternately, you could lower the quality of your shadows.

i lowered the cascaded dynamic shadows to 17000.0 and it started to be playable when the shadows are on medium but my goal is for player to be able to play on high shadows, perhaps its my graphics card for now that’s not making me play on high shadows, i have 1650TI, maybe if i get a better graphic card it will be playable on high shadows, and that was my point is that players with high graphic cards can play on high shadows, and i haven’t build lightning yet so maybe when i build lightning it will help the performance, ty anyway.

Hello,

We’ve made a switch to a new bug reporting method using a more structured form. Please visit the link below for more details and report the issue using the new Bug Submission Form. Feel free to continue to use this thread for community discussion around the issue.

Thanks,