What's your FPS? Needs some thoughts on why my game might be dragging like hell

MacBooks might look hip and good at business meetings but when you give them a proper challenge there will always be the inevitable realisation that a thousand dollars of the price was for the logo on the front.

Intel’s HD cards will always be a pain to work with. I did some tweaks to add vram to my HD3000 (it shares 1GB now with my 16GB ram) and I can work in 4.10.1 in medium with 32-44 fps. It’s not perfect but I can do some tweaks and test stuff in my blueprints while on the move.
It won’t be as fluid as my old Windows desktop because of the gpu I use in it but it works. (a Q6600 with 4GB ram and a 2GB GTX760 that runs ue4 at 80fps)

Read this carefully and follow the steps.

You’re kind of right though about Macs and UE4 but honestly? There shouldn’t be any issues about that. I see no reason for that except for bad planing. UE4 should be “lighter”, at least for the less demanding stuff, I shouldn’t need the extra horsepower unless I needed to make something really demanding.
For instance, Unity5 runs very well in my Macbook Pro. You can say that it’s not a AAA game engine but you can do some pretty good games there, as long as you put an effort in it.

As for the rest of the thread it turned into a “bash the Mac” thread. Oh well…

You have to spend big bucks on a laptop to get performance. My MSI GT70 has the following and it only gets 70 FPS on an empty scene:
icore 7
Nvidia GTX870 - 3GB
32 gig memory
1 TB solid state running Raid0.

I gave up on Mac, it just plain old sucks trying to run the engine. I have a desktop PC with that is lower performance than my laptop, and it pumps out way better FPS

The Nvidia GTX870(M) is actually a notebook GPU. They sound like their big cousins (the one in your desktop) but they’re actually much smaller and much less powerful. Definitely a bad trap to fall into. Your desktop isn’t lower performance, it will be a larger and more powerful GPU but a lower series.

HD intels suck even on PC… I mean, the free to play Shadow complex, only open the menu, when you hit play it crashes all the way (win 10 here). On this computer I have a veery good dedicated card, but I sended it to unplug a unplugable plug xD… so Im using the integrated card, well for the editor it works, but no doubt that I miss my titan.

All this advice really helped. I did indeed decide to not buy the HP. For now I’m limping along on my Mac Pro. In initial research HP sounds like a good deal, but you quickly realize that the system they quote for $2999 doesn’t have much, so I keep building it, good graphics card, minimum 1TB hard drive, 32 GB ram to start, and the thing easily jumps to $10k by the time all the parts are in the cart.

So I decided to not buy right now, but that when I do buy I’m going to build my own system (I’ve been reading articles and you are right it sounds far easier than I remember it).

I’m going to wait for now, but of course I want to make sure that I don’t goof it up and order a mother board that won’t work with maxing out the processors that I want, etc.

I used Epic’s recommendation for a basic build to start, but have been looking at other things. Also, thinking to use it as a way to teach my sons who I home school, how to build a computer. They love doing things like this, and to me it’s one of the best ways to learn to not be scared of computers.