Whats the best way to create fog/clouds close to the ground

So I want to make a valley-type scene whith mountains that are above the clouds. I tried using the exponential height fog but it doesnt look like I want it to because it doesnt really look like clouds. I also tried to move the volumetric clouds down but I cant bring them close enough to the ground. So is there any good way to get clouds close to the ground? Im using UE5 (for about 2-3 weeks) and there dont seem to be any beginner friendly tutorials about that topic out yet.

2 Likes

You can set the volumetric cloud “Layer Bottom Altitude” to -1 (or whatever works for you) by just typing it in (the slider doesn’t go all the way down). Hope that helps!

1 Like

You might also try looking into using a particle system to sprinkle volumetric particles around, if you’re looking for that early morning rolling heavy fog look. Volumetric Fog in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.0 Documentation will get you started with a simple material you can use. You can expand upon it to add in some swirling animation effects within the particles and then with the particle system, you can introduce movement of the actual particles. Collision can also be used to let the tufts skate along the surfaces of things. Just keep in mind the costs of everything because they can add up fast.

1 Like

It uses cascade but the precedure can be done with niagara with no problem

3 Likes

I found this very nice tip on twitter some time ago, from Unreal’s Chris Murphy, I think it looks great and you can customize it a lot:
Chris Murphy on Twitter: “Volumetric Fog in @UnrealEngine isn’t limited to just one generic density slider. You can actually apply the properties to a material and use objects or particles to set up little artistic fog regions! It’s a great way to quickly add a bit of character to an area. #UETips https://t.co/4hmizE4NI7” / Twitter

1 Like

Hello!

There is a way to make a Local volumetric fog based on a geomety of your choosing.

Here is the link to a short tutorial on how to make it!

and here are the nodes used in the shader to achieve the local volumetric fog (screenshot form the video)

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

But with this method the clouds only draw in front of the sky, not in front of the terrain… So its not really a solution?