What's happening with VRWorks support

When I did a git clone it switched me to the ReadMe branch which appears empty (apart from the ReadMe.) I then switched/checked out the release branch and ran setup.bat. When this was done I switched to the branch I was interested in (The FleX branch for now) and generated project files and built that solution.

Maybe working from the zip file caused an issue. The FleX readme warns about using the zip download…

Maybe try the clone/switch branch route again???

Well, I just spent my whole free evening trying to get this to work again. 5 Hours of my life.

And guess what?! Again, my performance on any of the “optimizations” is one big nightmare!

These are my results with LMS:

And this is Multires:
903dd8467126fda4e5ca57e218b0b13028c1729d.jpeg

I’ve tried downloading the source from scratch, fecthing the engine files, running the setup, compling everything, rebuilding the derived data cache, recompiling 10k shaders.
Twice.
For the third time I’m having the same results. To be honest I’ve lost all faith in VRworks.

This might come across as a toxic message, but that is not my intention. Just informing about bugs, but I’m honestly very very disappointed.

obviously, something in your scene is conflicting with with it

edit: I’m a jerk, sorry

Any idea where to start to find out what it is?

EDIT: Just tried tossing my lighting build. No effect. Also tried multiple different scenes all with totally different assets. Still the same performance decrease.

EDIT2: Tried it on a few new empty maps with just a directional light, a landscape and some basic shapes. Same effect still… It’s most probably not my scene.

EDIT3: Disconnected my second monitor. Tossed some rendering settings around. Tossed some nVidia control panel stuff around. No change…

kAzAAkAs, dude I feel your pain. Try asking on Unreal Slackers #ue-vr Discord

There are some very experienced dudes there who may be able to shine a light on your troubles. I know one guy LegendreVR who has got LMS and stuff working for a useful performance and quality increase.

Good luck.

Thanks for your suggestion. I guess we’re in a small niche world, because this guy you’re talking about posted in this thread about that very thing a couple of times.

I guess we do! LegendreVR got some excellent help with VRWorks and optimisation over there, that’s why I mention it. Good luck!

Thanks man. I’m really confused by Discord though. Heard about its existence many times, but never signed up. I just signed up, but I can’t seem to find how to join the channel. Do I need an invitation? My username on there is “kazaakas” as well, in that case.

I’m new to it too. No invitation required. This is the link for #ue-vr

One of us, one of us ! Don’t hesitate to pm we aswell, I’ll guide you as much as I can !

It seems that i have same problem that kAzAAkAs has. I don’t get any fps boost with VRworks 4.14 or 4.15.

I have sli-enabled, multires and LMS enabled from project settings and i’m playing with different console command values 0-3 but i just don’t get any difference on fps…

I have been testing earlier VRworks / Multires builds 4.11-4.13 and those versions worked very well, but those versions had problems with VR Planar reflections…
Now i can see that Planar Reflections are working nicely in VR with VRWorks 4.14 and 4.15.

I’m having trouble getting lens matched shading to run in a vrworks build for 4.15. Similar problem to kazaakas and Player. When enabled I notice no difference in appearance or performance. I’m guessing it’s not actually running for some reason. I get an error when I try and use different levels of lms, specifically “Error: vr.LensMatchedShading is read only!”. Something I’m missing in enabling lms?

Have you checked the LMS tickbox in your project settings ? Should be in the rendering / VR category. You need to restart your editor too after that. :slight_smile:

I’ve got the box checked in project settings, and restarted the editor(redone and tested several times). I’m also running windows 10 and a pascal gpu so compatibility shouldn’t be a problem. I built the version of ue4 from a github zip download. Is there anything I could have messed up in the build that isn’t causing other noticeable problems?

Similar problem here. VR SLI works fine in 4.15 however I always noticed there’s a slight increase in frametime in the shipping build against vr preview with mrs/lms set to 3.

And turns out mrs/lms setting are being ignored in shipping build somehow, even there’s specified value assigned in blueprint.

Noticing any visual difference in the vr clarity? Also you noticing good performance gains with sli? I’m hitting performance issues with high settings and one card. Things like foliage just chew up too much frametime, and I’ve considered getting a second card.

Foliage and multiple transparent materials aligned is something that crushes VR performance… :confused:

Hey guys, first post here. I’ve been developing some custom demos and have been trying to get the VR SLI to work in VrWorks 4.15. I’m running dual 1070s.
SLI is enabled in the NVidia control panel and have vr.mgpu 1 set in my Level Blueprint but I’m not seeing the 2nd 1070 get hit at all. What am I missing here?
Thanks in advance!

Difference between LMS/MRS level 1~2 are pretty minor however on level 3 there are noticable difference. There’s a article on nvidia’s website detailing the specific difference, generally LMS gets a slightly shaper image against MRS.

Meanwhile to be very honest the difference overall can be ignored under current HMS resolutions, but the difference became larger when looking in 4K HMDs.

VR SLI is tremulously useful at least for me. But the issue you can’t solve it by SinglePassStereo, VR SLI won’t do too much help as well (unless taking to Titan Xp).

Correct me if I’m wrong - for pascal card it’s either SLI or SPS. Maybe try disable SPS and manual set mgpu at console? If it still doesn’t work might be issue to the driver.