What's happening with VRWorks support

Do you have a 10 series (Pascal) card? Only works for those AFAIK. Sorry if that’s a stupid question to ask…

yeah 1080 here

I’m trying out some different settings atm. Trying it with instanced stereo instead of single pass stereo now.
Also gotta check whether forward rendering makes a difference

Good luck! Hope you find the magic performance/quality settings!

I’m really baffled and quite convinced there is something I’m doing completely wrong. Switched to multires, LMS and instanced stereo now and the maximum screen size I can run at didn’t increase at all. Slight decrease actually…

God I wish that I knew what the problem was… this stuff is going to keep me awake tonight lol.

Going to cook a .exe, see if that works

Also updated the nvidia driver already… Verified running on SM5.0…

Any tips or possibilities (even the stupid ones) why it doesn’t work are most welcome!

I cloned the Nvidia fork of the engine today and have been having great fun with the FleX branch and Mordentral’s plugin. I’m very interested in what you are testing to see what gains are possible.

I’d really like to try and help but I only have a 970. :frowning:

Ah yeah, my home rig runs on a 970. Can be tough to get a decent looking VR scene not to lag on it!

I’m also quite confused about the lack of documentation on these new features. Both multi-res and lens matched shading should have some configuration options as to which preset you want to use, but I haven’t found any sources on what commands you can use for that.

It’s late here but tomorrow I will try the VRWorks-Graphics-4.15 branch and have a tinker. I’ll also have a dig into the source to see if that gives any clues on usage/configuration.

I need this stuff to work to help justify upgrading to at 1080Ti. For that much money I want to wring every possible bit of VR performance out of it and ultimately out of a pair of them in SLI.

Thats cool man, thanks.

Running wireless, highly optimized VR with SLI 1080Ti’s is something I dream about frequently ^^

:slight_smile:

I think Nvidia added a bunch of vr.* console variables like vr.LensMatchedShadingUnwarpScale

Maybe there are others to play around with?

Thanks! May I ask where you found this? Couldn’t find any info anywhere…

Anyway, I just did some testing:

Single pass stereo
Roughly the same performance as instanced stereo

Lens Matched Shading
setting 1: quality -> significant drop in fps versus baseline
setting 2: conservative -> slightly lower performance than baseline
setting 3: aggressive -> roughly equal performance as baseline

According to this image the results I’m having are very weird and not explainable. From the first setting the amount of pixels to be rendered is a lot lower, even though my framerate significantly DROPS from using this tweak!

Multi res
Every single level of multi res causes a huge drop in performance, even the highest one! I’m really confused here as well…
Furthermore, enabling multi res rendering as an option, even without choosing any preset setting, seems to come with an inherent drop to performance. I have to lower my screen size by roughly 20% for a smooth experience when its loaded into the shaders but not turned on. Additionally, it seems to cause a lot of glitches and artifacts in the headset itsself for some reason, which are not visible on the headset mirror. For instance, the image of the right eye shows a part of the left eye and I get a lot of frames of static noise in between, almost as if the cable is failing. I’ve had both of these problem at random before and restarting steamVR always seemed to do the trick. In this case it does too, but the problem seems to intermittently come back a lot quicker when multi-res is on.

All in all, this experience today has been something I would have never expected. I can’t wrap my head around any remotely logical idea why all of this is happening. I MUST be doing something wrong. These optimisations that are to highly regarded by the community are having the exact opposite effect for me…

Quite frankly this makes me as sad as it made me excited when I found out about the release this morning…

EDIT: weird part about this all is that I’ve had exactly the same problem with the forward shader. Also something that’s supposed to make VR run faster. On either TAA/SMAA it makes my project run about 20% slower for TAA and at MSAA the drop is (logically) more, while also introducing a problem with transparency, causing my trees to look really anemic instead of having full layers of leaves.

from here https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/987899/vr-funhouse-modding/is-quot-full-vrworks-graphics-ue4-14-quot-on-the-road-map-/post/5085415/#5085415

One guy saw a 38% increase with multi-rez

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/63iwh3/nvidia_vrworks_415_branch_for_unreal_engine_4/dfuj2r3/

and another said try not to merge more than the VRWorks Branch unless you feel like fixing some bugs

Here is a bunch of info on lens matched shading (part 1-3) https://developer.nvidia.com/lens-matched-shading-and-unreal-engine-4-integration-part-1

Oh dawn you guys have been exchanging a lot this night !

So, I successfully compiled the 4.15 Vrworks branch yesterday, added a few tweaks here and there (remove the black bars of the VR Preview for example), and started migrating our project template. So far I have absolutely no problems, performance increase is roughly the same as with 4.14 (ie. between 1ms and 4ms of frametime on our template scene featuring a few resource intensive assets).

Here’s what it looks like in the steamVR debug :

Now I’ve been trying multiple configurations in the render settings, and so far enabling LMS and SinglePass Stereo is giving me the best results.

I’ll try to bench a bit on one of our massive models today.

Also, if David C. from Nvidia sees this thread, thanks a lot again for the heads up ! :wink:

EDIT : I’ll be on the Unreal Slackers discord if you want to talk more on the matter !

Thanks for posting your benchmark results for LMS! It fills me with joy. I’m assuming the graph was produced with SinglePassStereo On. The frame time decreases seem to be in line with what the Nvidia blog describes. Which is great. :slight_smile:

I hope we can help kAzAAkAs find a similar performance boost. I was going to test the VRWorks branch to try and help but that seems moot in light of what you have found.

Is there anyone who could share what they have found using VR SLI in VRWorks? Can we expect frame times to ‘nearly’ reduce by half?

Thanks.

That makes me jealous!

LMS decreases performance for me!
And look what multi-res does: Unreal Engine 4.15 Nvidia VRworks Multi res not working - YouTube !

That’s definetly not normal… Have you tried redoing the whole process from scratch ? Redownloading the source and building on a new project ?

I did have some trouble at first getting the source. Using a git clone resulted in an empty folder and a 5gb pack file in the .git folder.
Subsequently, downloading everything as zip and extracting that gave me some nasty stuff in both winrar and 7zip about file paths being longer than 260 characters.

Eventually I managed to get it to unpack everything by dumping it on my disk root, thereby minimizing the path length. I followed the setup tutorial in the readme.md like a bible and didn’t find any problems. I did get a prompt about overwriting two changed library files, but I remembered somewhere to answer no there, because those were nvidia library files that otherwise would be overwritten by the default unreal library files.

I’m not in my lab right now. Might try it again at another time. I already emailed nvidia dev support about it, so I’m going to wait out a response from them first. Rebuilding the derived data cache for the new engine version took ages.

What results did you get with multi res?