What on earth is going on with my chaos vehicle?

Any help is much appreciated. I followed a tutorial. Triple checked it. Wheels spin but go through the floor plus no forward/backward movement. Thanks for checking it out!!

Hello Yeah_Corey, welcome to the Unreal community.

Nice vehicle model!
I would consider checking the physics asset for the vehicle. I would ensure the physics bodies are covering the mesh as much as it needs to.

Another concern is the wheels. I would check the Blueprints for your wheels (if applicable) and ensure the AffectedBySteering value is checkmarked.

I would like to know which tutorial you are following for more context.
I look forward to your replies.

Hi Polite_Muon, thank you for your response and the welcome!

I will check the physics bodies and the AffectedBySteering value.

The tutorial was by PinkPocketTV

Thanks so much!

The word Chaos was specifically chosen.
They knew what the chamge would do to the engine well ahead of time.

In physX, the wheel have a RADIUS. Not a DIAMETER (or viceversa?).

Somehow, some way, 50% of the time I have seen your problem, the wheel definitions were set to use a measure that did not allow them to reach the floor.
In PhysX there is a specific collision command to visualize wheels and other bodies.
~ pxvis collision

Not sure if chaos being so badly made has anything remotely similar that would avoid you having to poke around.

If you can. Ditch 5. Go back to 4.27. Or build 5 without chaos while you still can (its already hard af).

Interesting, MostHost_LA. Ha ha it’s chaotic.

Yeah, I’ll look into both rolling back to 4.27 and the PhysX. There’s a wheel radius in Chaos(I think it was radius. I don’t have the project open in front of me right now) but it didn’t seem to do anything.

I have a whole scene I was hoping to drive around in. I wonder if it’s possible to get that to work in 4.27. Only one way to find out.

I’m up for the challenge with PhysX as hard as Unreal can be. I’ll see if I can find a good tutorial.

Thanks!!!

Hey @Polite_Muon @MostHost_LA Just want to follow up on this because I figured it out. I’m a C4d user so I skipped the blender part of the tutorial. I thought I could just figure it out with Cinema. After banging my head against my desk for a while I went into blender and rigged it as the tutorial said. It’s working now. So stoked. It must have something to do with the scale. Not sure. Would love to know what’s going on with that. Thanks!

I had the same issue. Wheels were going into the ground and the car rested on the main body collision. Traced the issue back to scaling in Blender. The way I managed to fix it was by Going to scene properties and setting the Unit scale to 0.01 for Cm and scaling the car back up 100x to get the original dimensions. Re-exported FBX and it worked

1 Like

IF YOU’VE TRIPLE CHECKED A TUTORIAL ON CHAOS VEHICLES, THAT PROBABLY MEANS LIKE ME AND MANY OTHERS YOU HAVEN’T TRIPLE CHECKED YOUR ORIGINAL IMPORT FROM BLENDER. caps, install the UE4 vehicle Import plugin for blender and try again.