What is the reason and/or fix for UE5 (5.03 & 5.1) freezing my whole pc?

8 Likes

I updated to UE5.3.1 a week ago and installed the latest stable AMD graphics driver (23.9.3), and so far haven’t had any gpu timeouts or weird glitches (so whatever was causing it on my system might be fixed now?)

Could be a fluke/luck thing though, so will post back if there is a reoccurence.

1 Like

Didnt happen for me, but downgrading to 5.0.3 seems to get rid of the issue for me.

This helped me after banging my head for weeks.

I have been having this issue (whole pc locks up, have to restart) in the UE 5.1.1 editor as well. It happens pretty frequently (immediately after starting the editor from VS code this morning and twice yesterday in 8 hours of constant use).
I have a 1080TI on the latest driver. I just tried changing RHI to DirectX 11 since I saw that mentioned as a temporary solution in this thread.

Have you had the issue since upgrading to Unreal 5.3.1? I see you posted that 25 days ago so fingers crossed!

Smooth sailing so far with UE 5.3.1 on the latest AMD drivers & DirectX 12.
It’s unclear whether this was fixed by the engine update, the driver update, or something else entirely.

I’m not using an Nvidia card so not sure whether or not you’ll see an improvement, but it’s probably worth upgrading to UE 5.3.1 and seeing. More data points would be useful too.

1 Like

Ok thanks!

So far I haven’t had a crash with DX11 but it’s only been a day. I’ll try upgrading to 5.3.1 when I have a chance and will report back here if I have success with that as well.

This is what I’ve discovered so far:

Dealing with framerate drops, menu bugs, and freezes in UE5. - Development / Getting Started & Setup - Epic Developer Community Forums (unrealengine.com)

The Reg Edit changes made a huge difference with lock ups. I also think it had something to do with the multi panel windows which is mentioned in my post. My lock ups always seemed to happen when I was switching windows or panels.

Same problem here. I have powerful high end PC (RTX4090 + I9 13900K + 64GB ram 7000GHZ DDR5, 8T storage NVME m2).

My PC doesn’t crash with literally anything else in the universe, but I open a simple standard third-person project in UE 5.3.2, and it freezes or gives a blue screen of death lol.

1 Like

I’ve been experiencing the same issue. Happened suddenly the other day for the first time. I created a new third person project and the issue repeated. The screen goes black then have to restart it manually or it auto restarts.

An interesting test, I turned the scalability to good and there wasn’t a crash. Seems it may be related to scalability?

Build:
AMD 7950x - RTX 4090 - 64Gb DDR5 RAM

My friend has the same problem, he uses a 4090 too. Is it some driver incompatibility or some technology used in the 4090?
Sometimes it happens while I’m playing too, I can’t finish the story mode of KOF XV, the same problem happens, but in other games everything seems to be normal.

Well, I am sad to report my issue is related to the CableMod 90 degree adapter plugged into the 4090 GPU. The adapter had melted and would short out once I ran UE or even games. I was able to clean the GPU connection and plug in the manufacturer cable and everything is working perfectly. I’ll most likely have to RMA the gpu. I recommend using manufacturer cables on the 4090. Just wanted to update folks if anyone is also using a CableMod adapter or power cable for the 12v connector.

Do you have news to share im in the same boat

Updating to the latest graphics card drivers seems to fix this for a lot of people, so it’s worth trying if you haven’t done so yet.

If you are using an i913900k, make sure to enter the TDP manually, this solved almost all my crashes (I still get crashes occasionally, but it is rarer)

1 Like

It’s late and I lost a 5 days because editor constantly crashing when are particles in scene. From the previous version (proppably from UE 4) i had in the config:
r.OIT.SortedPixels=True
Occured on UE 5.3.2, GTX 3060, drivers 552.22

MyProject.log (204.2 KB)

I remove it a it looks ok).

Btw: I uploaded an empty project to google drive (4mb) with an example of a particle, which on my side causes a 100 percent crash in Win 10. If anyone is interested, just open the project and wait for about 10 seconds or a little more. Map with particle is loaded automatically.

Project is here

If anyone prefers the rar file (1mb) here it is

Removing “r.OIT.SortedPixels=True” from TempM\Config\DefaultEngine.ini is workaround for fixing crash in this case.

where? in BIOS?

I had a problem that when working with a lot of objects, at some points my whole computer would freeze and only a complete reboot would help. It was horrible and thought it was the components.
I found out that the problem was in the TdrDelay (300) that I had set to reduce engine crashes.
I set them back to default (8) and the hang problem went away.

Hope this helps you too, good luck!